Jeep TJ Exhaust Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ Exhaust Issue

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
beerdawg21
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ Exhaust Issue

ok i'm new to all of this. I inherited a 1997 jeep sahara TJ from my uncle who passed away in may of 2012. while that may not seem vital information... i recently found out it may be more important than i thought. amonst other things, one of the main causes of death was Atherosclerosis... key point to come up later.

now on to my issue. as this is my first jeep and i don't know much about all the querks and things jeeps do. i don't know if it's running louder than normal or if there is a leak from the muffler or the manifold or any of that. all i know is that it gives off an exhaust smell and has started giving me a headache. this past weekend i did alot of rambling around town(stop and go) with my doors off and hard top on...and it was worse than i have noticed before.

my wife has been on me about getting it checked out and fixed because she hates riding in it due to the smell and worries about the carbon monoxide hurting me/her/kids.. whoever is in it... and she also believes it might have been a part of my uncles issues in the first place.. so after the weekend i googled effects of carbon monoxide, now I'm not stupid and i know it's not safe and can kill you, but i was just curious what all the side effects are of long term exposure...

to my shock one of the issues it is known to cause is..... Atherosclerosis... ding ding ding... you guessed it... the jeep that i drive every day more than likely killed my uncle... he was otherwise healthy, athletic, and had no prior signs of health issues. and now recently i have started having headaches, fatigue, depression, anxiety etc... all of which are also known side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning...

so obviously it needs to be fixed asap.. but i don't have tons of cash to throw at it, nor do i feel confident enough tacking something major like this myself... i've changed the oil, brakes, rotors, calipers etc.. but nothing like this.

how do i find out where this leak is coming from and if it is a manifold issue, muffler issues, O2 sensor etc.... keep in mind i'm not a mechanic but would love to find a cheap way to atleast temporarily fix this until i can get the money to pay for it to be done right. i've read through alot of the threads about this but none seem to be directed towards someone who is a newbie at this and most seem to immediately assume it's the manifold..

thanks...

beerdawg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
JLSargent
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you are smelling exhaust in the cab then get that repaired ASAP. Who knows if that really had anything to do with your uncle's health. The exhaust manifolds are known to crack on these Jeeps. They make a new/improved manifold for them. I installed one on my Jeep recently. Inspect your exhaust manifold with a bright flashlight and I bet you will see cracks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...d48728&vxp=mtr
JLSargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
beerdawg21
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so once again you as with most of the others in the other threads, would point at the manifold as being the likely culprit?
beerdawg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
JLSargent
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You may have multiple leaks. Manifold is suspect #1, pipe around cat #2. Like I said, get you a bright flashlight so you can see and hunt for cracks in that manifold. Do not drive that Jeep with exhaust fumes in your face.
JLSargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When i was installing my muffler, i cut my old muffler out but the cherrybomb glasspack i got wouldnt fit correctly so i had to drive my jeep to school one day with the exhaust ending under the passenger seat. I did notice an exhaust smell in the cab so it can come from multiple places. An easy way to find a leak is to use Seafoam, the injector cleaner. When you pour it down your throttle body or suck it up using your brake boost line, it creates white smoke out the exhaust for up to a few minutes. When it starts making smoke, look around your exhaust system and see if theres any white smoke coming from anywhere but the exhuast tip. Read up on the process of Seafoam before doing this if you arent familiar with it but its a good cleaner to run once in awhile anyways. It will not make smoke if you put it in the oil/gas, only directly into the throttle body or a vacuum line.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool tip on the seafoam smoke and looing for leaks. My 01 has a small leak somewhere, I will give this a try to see if I can find exactly where.
To the OP. If you don't feel comfortable with the seafoam, call around to a few muffler shops, most around here will inspect it for free and let you know what you need. On one of my previous ones, it ended up just being a bad bolt that connected the exhaust pipe to the manifold. Guy replaced the bolt and fixed the leak and all it cost me was $20. Don't know if I would have found it while laying under the Jeep instead of it on a lift and to me it was $20 well spent.
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.