Jeep Tj engine cutt off. Wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj engine cutt off. Wont start

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
tskallaa
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Tj engine cutt off. Wont start

1998 Jeep Wrangler Tj
2.5 Liter Engine
128xxx Miles

About a month ago i was driving home and my engine would cut out, and I would have to pull over and wait a few minutes to start it again. I finally made it home, but then it would not even start at all. It would turn over all day, but no start.

Heres what I have done.

before this happened, I cut out my cat converter because it had broken off, so I decided to straight pipe it. I then cut the 02 sensor on the cat converter off.

I straight piped it the next day and it ran perfectly for about 3 or 4 days, until I ran into the stalling problem.

I took it to a shop, and they had discovered a hole in the gas tank, and with that, a bad fuel pump. I had them fix the hole and put a new fuel pump in, thinking that this was the actual problem. It ran fine for about 30 minutes, then it stalled out again on the side of the road!

After not trusting this local shop, I then took it to the jeep dealer, and they determined that i was not getting any spark to the engine. I had replaced the spark plugs, ignition coil, spark plug wires, crankshaft position sensor, and the relays. Still nothing.

The jeep dealsership told me that the entire ECM had gone bad, because muddy water had gotten into the fuse box and "must of" shorted something out. so I got a rebuilt one online, installed it yesterday, still nothing.

I am at a loss for what the problem could be. I have replaced almost everything, but nothing is working. ANY help that can lead to fixing this problem is much appreciated.

tskallaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
binnsmark
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Above the battery on the firewall there are 4 big wiring harness blocks (I honestly can't think of the tech term.) Make sure one of those isn't loose. Last week I had my battery out and accidentally knocked one loose and it wouldn't start... Then it would... then wouldn't. Took a look and found one of them loose. Plugged it back in snugly and haven't had an issue since.

1997 Red TJ 2.5 on 33's
binnsmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cam position sensor been replaced?
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Cam position sensor been replaced?
Even the crankshaft position sensor as well. Correct?
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Even the crankshaft position sensor as well. Correct?
That one was mentioned as already replaced, but yes, still could be a potential cause of no spark.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
That one was mentioned as already replaced, but yes, still could be a potential cause of no spark.
I see that now.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
emc , jeep , o2 , short , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.