Jeep TJ Cheap Horsepower Upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ Cheap Horsepower Upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
MountainManJr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ Cheap Horsepower Upgrade?

Hey All i am new to owning my first vehicle, A 2006 jeep Wrangler 4.0 6 Speed manual. I've read up on alot of things you can do to it to make it more powerful, but i am not looking into dropping 4K into a sidewinder turbo. I've read about power chips but they do not increase much horsepower or fuel economy.
So i was wondering if any of you people new of a cheap alternative, maybe dropping a bigger intake and upgrading the exhaust? Any advice would be appreciated.

MountainManJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well the Jeep was never built to be a speed machine. What are you going to use it for primarily?
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

K&N CAI, 6 inch throttle body spacer, and some rockstar wheels.

NOTE: This combo will only work if you also put the K&N sticker on your rear window.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

not much can be done to it unless turbo or blower. gears help alot.if you take the trumpet off the air box it will sound faster
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No. You can also search the topic if you don't believe me.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
K&N CAI, 6 inch throttle body spacer, and some rockstar wheels.

NOTE: This combo will only work if you also put the K&N sticker on your rear window.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainManJr View Post
So i was wondering if any of you people new of a cheap alternative
best alternative i know of is get on a diet. only drive with 1/2 tank of fuel at most to save weight. remove the spare tire, carpet, passenger seat and back seat. never use the A/C. remove any tools or unused items, including the seat belts for the seats you removed, and the A/C compressor & all hardware. add no aftermarket suspension, armor or accessories. run 28-29" tires.

for the best mileage use hyper-mile techniques in conjunction with above. always accelerate as slow as possible, coast as much as possible, dont stop unless you have to, no left turns, etc.

you could try ditching the hard top & hard doors if equipped. use full soft doors with a fastback soft top. you'll save weight but the drag coefficient will go up, so hard doors/hard top may actually be more efficient.

you could try nitrous injection for more horsepower. a kit could be put together fairly cheaply. but beware, the likelyhood you will melt your motor increases dramatically, and they can only be used at wide open throttle at high RPMs. so if you're looking to increase your horsepower for a short period of time, at the expense of a $3000+ motor, that is an cheap alternative.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I heard these are good for at least 100 hp.

In all seriousness, there is no way to get cheap horsepower from a 4.0 motor.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Op, there really is no simple way to achieve more power or better fuel economy. The first (and biggest) problem is that a Jeep is as aerodynamic as a brick.

As stated above, the best option is to regear. You can put a turbo or supercharger on, however that gets expensive. Loosing weight means removing things you might need or enjoy.
Personally, I understand it's a Jeep and will not win any races. This is why I have other vehicles to go fast in.
Unread 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
MountainManJr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am primarily going to be using it for moderate offroading and commuting. Just want to get some extra snot under the hood if you know what i'm saying
MountainManJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

5.9 magnum v8. That's the cheapest power upgrade for the 4.0
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
5.9 magnum v8. That's the cheapest power upgrade for the 4.0
For about $700 you could drop a Wet Nitrous kit in, draw back is it is not legal to use the system on road or have it "armed" while driving.

If your Jeep is on road/mall crawler/light off road then gears, smaller tiers, remove the spare and the rear seat then cut down the TC skid plate to the minimum size required to hold the TC.

Other than that if you want to smoke someone at the lights then either go with RDA616's suggestion or by a second car.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainManJr View Post
I am primarily going to be using it for moderate offroading and commuting. Just want to get some extra snot under the hood if you know what i'm saying
Your biggest problem is the D35 with 3.07 gears. The 4.0L has been around for such a long time, it's already tuned for power the best it can be.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Your biggest problem is the D35 with 3.07 gears. The 4.0L has been around for such a long time, it's already tuned for power the best it can be.
this, 3.07 gears should have never been put in a wrangler. regear to fix your weakest link. swapping out that rear axle would be nice as well instead of dumping money into a turdy 5
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ya get rid of the 307 gears for some 3.73 or 410's then put some p215 tires on it. you wont have any problem merging with that setup!
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cheap , horsepower modification , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.