Jeep TJ 4 cylinder Engine noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep TJ 4 cylinder Engine noise

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
wellsb1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ 4 cylinder Engine noise

Hello everyone. This one has me perplexed so I am hoping for some extra help
I have a 1997 TJ with the 2.5 4 cylinder, automatic. The Jeep runs great, no engine codes, but when the engine warms up, it sounds like a diesel engine and I cannot pipoint the source. Not the exhaust, not the catalytic converter, oil pressure is good, pulleys are all tight, water pump is new. Help!

wellsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Line58
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In other words, it sounds like a 16 year old 2.5L? Mine and many others sound the same. If you can find a cure to make it sound new again please let us know, however that unhealthy sound seems rather common.
Line58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
todd8888

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine has 140,000 and does the same thing. Sounded like it was in the top so i changed the lifters (found 3 of them colapsed), but still makes the same noise after running about 5-10 minutes. If you find the cause let us know.
Mine also uses no oil, runs smooth, just sounds like a diesel.
todd8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
wellsb1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks foir the replies. That makes me feel a lot better as it does not sound good, but performs flawlessly.
Happy Jeeping everyone!
wellsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
tjsooner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine had ticked for the 3 years I've had it. This Monday the ticking got much, much louder and the Jeep is in the shop now. Might need a rebuild or a new engine. Not sure what went but something bad happened. Never ran bad or overheated even once the loud ticking started.
tjsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Dextreme
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A $5 Mechanics Stethoscope can help isolote the problem, especially if it is an exhaust manifold leak.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html
Dextreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Exaust manifold leaks are really common in these units. The back lower bolt often breaks off in the head.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
BucketOKarma
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine had a similar problem, found two separate places. One, my air intake was whistling, and second, the donut gasket between the manifold and down-pipe, was shot.
Now it sounds fine.

I hope that helps at least someone here....

... Although, I do have a ticking (like the "60 minutes" stopwatch), it's most prominent when in third gear under load (like getting on an on-ramp). It has me worried, but not enough to take it apart and possibly do more harm than good, or have someone else take it apart and have it do more harm to my wallet.

www.MilitaryJeepers.com
http://groups.jeepforum.com/CT_Jeeps
www.SiSOffroad.com
BucketOKarma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.