Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #76
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRubicon06 View Post
Its probably because most American drivers are retards and will not allow for proper cool down of the turbo after a spirited romp. Or learn to just not punch the throttle after you have been sitting in traffic for a while heating up the intercooler.
VW's answer to hot shut down in is additional water cooling of the turbo. My gf's Passat has a small electric water pump that will continue to cycle coolant thru the turbo after shutting the car off if you do so while the turbo is too hot. I've never heard it operate because we don't drive hard and then try to shut it off.

Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #77
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

back from the dead!

For those of you that think turbo's won't work at low rpms, here you go:

More from scrapinrocks in the YJ Forum:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/few-yj-4-0-turbo-picts-661277/

Correctly sized and built, a turbo is more practical IMHO
Thats a great looking torque curve!
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #78
Si1ver03Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^ Hmm offroading at crawl speeds with a hot *** turbo under the hood = worst idea ever.
Si1ver03Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #79
TwistedDrum5
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I didn't read the other 5 pages, don't have time.

But also a thing ot think about is fuel management. Imports have tons of programs out there specifically for them. I tried a greddy emanage (kinda universal) and it sucked IMO. I don't know if they have jeep specific controlers, but in the past the universal ones have sucked for me.
TwistedDrum5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #80
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If someone wanted to design and program a turbo engine for off roading, I think they could. After seeing that a 1.6L MINI engine makes 200 lbs/ft at 1800 rpm. Impressive. That would be a mean little buggy engine.
Unread 02-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #81
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not going to offer an opinion of whether the OP should or should not do this but I will clear up some misconceptions and beliefs for you. This is the field I play in and get paid for.
The variable geometry turbos can give trremendous bottom end to almost any engine. The turbine blades can change pitch and "flatten out" at low throttle/RPM/exhaust flow settings to effectively spin the turbo up extremely quick at these low settings. Once boost builds the blades will change pitch and maintain that boost setting. These functions are usually controlled by an ECU of some sort which controls a vacuum motor to the vane pitch mechanism.....so that is a limiting factor here. These turbos effectively take the "only makes power at high RPM" thinking and make it into a non-issue.
To give you an idea of how well these turbos work. Two identical 30' boats, one with a pair of 2.3L 190hp 5 cyl. inline computerized diesel engines equipped with the variable geometry turbos and the other with a pair of V8 5.7L 320 hp computerized gas engines. The one with the diesels will get on plane quicker than the much larger and more powerful gas engines. Yes, the gas engines will outrun them at WOT.
Second mis-conception is that the turbo will fail on the dusty trails. This too is a non-issue as the turbo runs on fully sealed bearings and is pressure lubricated by filtered engine oil. Whatever your main bearings and rod and cam bearings see for oil the turbo sees also. The air entering the turbo is or should be filtered as well. Dust will not damage a turbo short term......long term yes but only the blades and housing. For comparison purposes only, jet aircraft engines, which are just giant fuel fed turbos, have no filtration system, routinely run through plenty of dust, and suck up whatever is on the runways in front of them and the turbine blades in those are cleaned by feeding nut shells and media into and through the spinning blades!
Sorry about the long post but some here are reading and learning from what they read and alot in this post was or is simply not accurate information. Hope this information on new technology helps and you can now return to whether he should or should not go for it!
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #82
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I recommend a "Turbo" sticker. Seriously, spend that money elsewhere.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #83
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si1ver03Rubicon View Post
^ Hmm offroading at crawl speeds with a hot *** turbo under the hood = worst idea ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy
I recommend a "Turbo" sticker. Seriously, spend that money elsewhere.
Go read the YJ thread. hes got lots of heat shielding and header wrap. A properly place oil cooler would also greatly reduce turbo temps. Hood vents would also provide advantages.

Also, it cost him $500 to build, and hes using a 12:1 FMU...and no lag

Superchargers and turbos both have their advantages, but a properly sized and engineered turbo system is most often better.
Unread 04-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #84
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was reading in the latest Canadian 4x4 magazine (http://www.can4x4.com) about a guy that used a Volvo turbo in his 1995 4-banger YJ. The article shows how he did it, and, it has been running for a while with no real issues after initial setup. His Volvo turbo is water-cooled and it is plumb'd for oiling as well. He did his install for $60 for the turbo (Pick-yer-Part) plus exhaust-tubing, some fittings and a "SplitSecond" tuner - some Grand Cherokee injectors ... and did it all for about $500 Canadian. It has brought his 4-banger back to life after all of his trail-ready modifications.

I have been tossing the idea back-n-forth between turbo vs. supercharger in my LJ to help with towing my heavy tent-trailer through the mountains around here. I need more "low-down" torque at RPM's around the 2,000 mark. I have also contemplated a new cam-shaft, snorkle (to pull cooler air into the engine on hot days while towing) - and - after all my reading on the 'net about it all - I still haven't figured out the best plan of attack. For now, it is going to stay relatively stock - unless someone can give me the best answer that makes the most sense.

I also want the "best" gas milage possible all around. Driving to and from work. Highway trips (empty). Highway trips (towing). Trail-riding (light trails only). Balance is the key word here - I need to balance out my needs so that it doesn't shine in any one area, but works well for all those needs.

So - my choices boil down to:
  1. Re-gear from 3.73 to either 4.10 or 4.56
  2. Freer flowing cooler air (snorkle?)
  3. Turbo
  4. SuperCharger
  5. Cam-shaft
  6. Insert alternative here
The way I see it, engine-swap is not an option. Major engine work is not an option. Whatever is done, needs to be done in a "short amount of time" because this vehicle is my #1 vehicle. Yes - I have other vehicles and options, but, I don't want it down for an extended period of time and reliability is paramount when it is completed.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #85
BoostedTJ
1946 CJ2A 

If you want a turbo go for it, although I will tell you that there will be a ton of work involved to get it like you like it. I have won myself on my 03 4.0L and love it I run a T3 T4 hybrid with zero lag. And for all of the people that say that you cant wheel with one because of the sudden hit in power they are dead wrong, they are very controllable if you know what you are doing. Oh and it can pull a house down in 4L. Mine makes wheel 300hp and 290tq.
BoostedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #86
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTJ View Post
If you want a turbo go for it, although I will tell you that there will be a ton of work involved to get it like you like it. I have won myself on my 03 4.0L and love it I run a T3 T4 hybrid with zero lag. And for all of the people that say that you cant wheel with one because of the sudden hit in power they are dead wrong, they are very controllable if you know what you are doing. Oh and it can pull a house down in 4L. Mine makes wheel 300hp and 290tq.
nice. please tell us more. whats the model, A/R, trim and turbo specs? what did you do for fuel management? piggyback ECU? etc. got any dyno chart? do you have a manual or auto?
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #87
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTJ View Post
300/290? Hmmm. I used to play with turbo Dodges. Typically, on oversqaure engines, a properly sized turbo with appropriate fuel and timing will make far more torque than it does horsepower. I'm curious why your hp is greater than torque.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #88
94jeeperdrummer
2008 JK Wrangler 

HAHA I love how many "turbos have lag" responses you get in this forum... How does anyone think a 4.0l engine would have lag with a turbo??.. Its pushing so much air that turbo should be spinning almost instantaneously.. even on my 2.5l subaru, it had a wicked fast turbo spool and its almost half the C.I. COME ON PEOPLE.. dont you realize most turbo cars on the market are 4 cylinders and 2.5L > This is a i6 4.0! its still .5L bigger than a Supra Turbo motor which can spool a T76 turbo, spool it by 3800 rpm and dyno over 1000hp with stock internals.. and thats a turbo 25x bigger than you would need for a jeep with a redline of around 5k.. of course a jeep 4.0 is not as stout or have as strong internals stock as a supra.. but I know it could spin turbos FAST
94jeeperdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #89
94jeeperdrummer
2008 JK Wrangler 

Boodyrider is correct.. with my old subaru I dynoed 290hp and 340ft. lbs

its all about turbo sizing.. which on a factory subaru is a IHI TD04 you can buy these used for less than $200 and they are awesome for super quick spooling... mine would be fully spun by 2300 rpm so I bet a jeep could do it at idle..
94jeeperdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #90
RichMcG

Glad to see this thread resurrected from so long ago....lots of good info and opinions. I've been contemplating a turbo kit vs. supercharger kit as well. I see RIPP has a supercharger kit, and it seems 505, Adventure Innovations, and Ken Belle have kits as well. Looks like 505 is the only turbo kit available, but I'm wondering if a custom kit would be cheaper. I need to research my options is all.

From reading all the posts, I only saw 1 mention of a Garrett GT30 turbo and I'm surprised. Everyone is talking t3/t4, but to me that seems like a fairly undersized turbo for a 4.0L application. A GT2871r or GT3071r seems like it would do just fine. Both are available with .86 A/R turbine housings and are efficient well into the 20 psi range. However, I'm unsure of their usefulness in a 6-7 psi application. The 4.0L seems much too large to run a small turbo (GT25, TD04, K04), yet unable to use the higher boost available with larger ones. I could be way off base, so I'm looking for some insight.
RichMcG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.