Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #61
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Stroke it and Supercharge it....dangit! You won't be sorry!

Last edited by GOLENJEEPTJ; 09-27-2008 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: add
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #62
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx4flowers View Post
i beg to differ, all rally cars are turbo and they do fine in mud, dirt, dust and water...

Yea, I always love the argument that turbos will die off road because of dirt and water. Getting dirt in water thru the intake of any vehicle is horrible for it, whether it's turbo'd, supercharged, or naturally aspirated.
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #63
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any pics of a turbocharger (not supercharger) installed in a jeep?
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #64
Si1ver03Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants99TJ View Post
So after talking to a few of my friends... and looking around online, i have decided i want to put a turbo on my jeep... what are the advantages disadvantages and what is the best one. Are there any kits out there, prices ideas... anything that may help me out... thx jeepin family
I would do some research at your level i.e. google before pposting on here. Atleast see if kits are even offered for the 4.0. How would you tune?
Si1ver03Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #65
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx4flowers View Post
i beg to differ, all rally cars are turbo and they do fine in mud, dirt, dust and water...
I beg to laugh at you trying to use this as an argument.

Rally cars have most their components rebuilt after almost every race and are backed by factories and major companies. Learn more about rallying please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #66
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
I beg to laugh at you trying to use this as an argument.

Rally cars have most their components rebuilt after almost every race and are backed by factories and major companies. Learn more about rallying please.
There are far more amature rally racers scraping by just to pay their entry fee than there are pros with support teams rebuilding their car every other day.

Learn more about rallying please.
Unread 09-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #67
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
There are far more amature rally racers scraping by just to pay their entry fee than there are pros with support teams rebuilding their car every other day.

Right... so every amature rally racer scraping by to pay their entry fee has a turbo charged application? Get real. I can count a hell of a lot more broken motors in rally cars than in naturally aspirated Jeeps.

Edit: By the way... driving around in dirt and mud-bogging are 2 different things.

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 09-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #68
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
Right... so every amature rally racer scraping by to pay their entry fee has a turbo charged application? Get real. I can count a hell of a lot more broken motors in rally cars than in naturally aspirated Jeeps.

Edit: By the way... driving around in dirt and mud-bogging are 2 different things.
Maybe because rally cars are driven around at WOT and beat on, almost like they are racing em or something. Hardly any Jeep is subject to that.

I'm just saying, at least 4-5 years ago when I was following things and going to rallies, there were a lot of WRX's in the ranks, and I highly doubt that those guys were rebuilding turbo's and engines every race. The guy I knew that was running a turbo Talon and pretty much kept it going for a few seasons of rallying with just brake replacements, and I think 1 fuel pump.

So what does off roading hurt on a turbo? There seem to be a lot of people that think turbo + wheelin = breakdown.
Unread 10-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #69
NOPLANS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 98 tj, I have been running a custom built turbo set up for about a year. This was the best mod I have ever done to the jeep. Running 37s I was a little low on power on the interstate. Now with the turbo it's a blast to drive. Off roading you never know it's there untill you put your foot in it. Starts pulling at 2000 RPM and does not stop.
NOPLANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #70
AWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPLANS View Post
I have a 98 tj, I have been running a custom built turbo set up for about a year. This was the best mod I have ever done to the jeep. Running 37s I was a little low on power on the interstate. Now with the turbo it's a blast to drive. Off roading you never know it's there untill you put your foot in it. Starts pulling at 2000 RPM and does not stop.
Too bad I shift at 1500 rpms all the time . I'd love a turbo on my TJ, owned 4 turbo cars, and love the whip back. Just seems a little impractical on my TJ.
Unread 10-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #71
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
He will be when he meets a friend with a properly engineered turbo/stroked setup.

Superchargers are one of the LAZIEST forms of engineering on an engine. It's so lazy it's not even funny. The parasitic losses from the supercharger are so high it's unbelievable.

If your turbocharger has lag, runs out of air, etc, you've done something wrong. But then again, back yard mechanics don't usually figure that one out. They usually just start rumors that turbos are dumb and only help at the high end.
But they do help produce 7,000 horsepower on drag cars. And 630 in the new zr1 Vette.
Unread 10-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #72
AWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
But they do help produce 7,000 horsepower on drag cars. And 630 in the new zr1 Vette.
you can do the same thing with turbo setups...and they're more tuneable. Two names come to mind (esp with the Vette name drop).

1.Lingenfelter
2.Hennessey

But for some reason US car companies side with supercharging (probably because its easier and cheaper from an engineering standpoint) versus the JDM cars all going turbo.
Unread 10-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #73
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILD View Post
you can do the same thing with turbo setups...and they're more tuneable. Two names come to mind (esp with the Vette name drop).

1.Lingenfelter
2.Hennessey

But for some reason US car companies side with supercharging (probably because its easier and cheaper from an engineering standpoint) versus the JDM cars all going turbo.
Because it's more reliable and it's more simple to work on. What is this issue?

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 10-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #74
TJRubicon06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILD View Post
Its probably because most American drivers are retards and will not allow for proper cool down of the turbo after a spirited romp. Or learn to just not punch the throttle after you have been sitting in traffic for a while heating up the intercooler.
Black Jeep Club member #95

Build Thread
1-20-13
Northridge4x4

Getting Astute
TJRubicon06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #75
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just to clear one point up...

Turbo bearings don't suffer from dirty intake air. The journal bearings and thrust bearing are all housed in the bearing housing which is always lubricated with engine oil and sometimes even water cooled. This is a sealed housing so never fear when wheelin!

On the other hand, turbos are susceptible to F.O.D. (foreign object damage) when running with no form of air filter, but so aren't superchargers. Heck, even naturally aspirated, do you really want a small stone or chunk of mud entering your engine?!?

I've seen lots of turbo 22RE Toy's on the trails. Don't know how much benefit turbocharging is - as somebody stated, depends on your style of wheeling, but those Yotas sound cool on the hillclimbs
2008 Rubi Unlimited: Gone!
Smashin' Punkin - 06 Rubi LJ, Cummins QSB3.3, work in progress
IndyORV
Red_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.