Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #46
bonestockbandit
1997 XJ Cherokee 

indeed that is a good point with the cummins. i apologize . but in this case turbos are def too touchy and sensitive to be used off road.

bonestockbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #47
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmeltzer View Post
I don't mean just a turbo, people were talking about doing stroker/supercharger too. I don't like reading all these threads about low end power and people saying Jeeps will never see high RPM's. I was just reminding people that we dont all crawl.

I could sure use a few HP at high RPM's, low end torque is almost worthless to me.
Torque does more than you think, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #48
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
#1 - No one really said it'd lag. The 4.0L is huge in comparison to most turbo motors. Damn sure big enough to spool a turbo at low-RPMs.

#2 - A turbo that runs out of breath on a 2.5L would do that much more quickly on a 4.0L due to the exhaust flow, etc. For example... I come from the import world of the turbo realm. 300ZX, 3000GT, etc. (We have 2 of the bastards on these cars.) Turbos that would normally add beautiful top end to a stock 3.0L 6G72, will begin to choke on a 3.5L 6G74 upgrade. Will it make the power? Sure. But eventually, they will just make heat instead of building power due to the flow restrictions. But, like you said... sized correctly, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. I'm guessing you'd be needing something in the TD05 range.

#3 - That alky/water injection system would be a pain in the *** to keep up with constantly and the kind of environment that would be friendly to the turbo, would not have any sort of mud reaching high enough to gunk up an intercooler. Keep the sprayer, but use an intercooler. Hell, with the power level we're talking about, a small side-mount would work just fine. Again, wishful thinking would probably be around +100HP to the wheels.

As far as tuning and the whole rising boost pressures, etc. You would probably need at least one hell of a piggy-back, but I'm guessing a stand-alone would be needed to tune it like you're talking about. The stock computer has *nothing* programmed into it for controlling the FP for boost, or anything to do with boost. Add into that, bigger injectors for the application, and you would probably run into some problems as RedRock experienced.

IMO, supercharger, stroker, or engine swap. The things these vehicles are put through are not turbo friendly. It can be done, by ALL means. It just isn't a very practical idea.

#2 - I wasn't saying to take the small 2.2/2.5 turbos off and put onto the 4.0, I was just saying that those motors make tons of torque due to the small size of the turbos on them. A -proportionally- sized turbo on a 4.0 would work much in the same way on a bigger scale. You could even be nutty and put two of the Garret turbos on a 4.0. One guy put two of the Mitsubishi turbos(smaller than the Garrets) on a 2.5. It makes some pretty ridiculous torque. (http://www.turbodiy.com/Mopar%20Page...dow_detail.htm)

#3 - Go searching around the Buick Grand National forums on cheap water or alcohol injection. There's a company I remember called "Devil's Own" with a couple different alky kits. Their basic kit starts shooting alcohol at a set pressure and keeps spraying the same amount. The advanced kit would start just trickling in at "X" psi and keep adding more progressively up to whatever you want.

I think a small-mediumish turbo on a 4.0 would really kick some *** in sand dunes and stuff. Throwing a V8 in there is definitely easier, but the turbo would be cool for a "whoa" factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #49
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
Torque does more than you think, lol.
I know, it came out different then I wanted. I mean low RPM is almost worthless, at the dunes it is floored almost the entire time.
Unread 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #50
mmtphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCherk98 View Post
Well my opinion is, i would never put a turbo on a jeep, they are not made for racing, and the engines that they have , have plenty of power...lol, just my mmo
I have a daytona shelby z with an intercooled turbo (Garrett) and a 4.0 TJ (98)-two different concepts IMO, my 4.0 has plenty of power for what it is, I guess it'd be a fun project but I think I'd spend my money on gearing, or something like that, turbos are mostly either right or expensive.
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #51
litebrite2001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone dropped a subaru STi drivetrain into a Jeep yet? Low center of gravity, lightweight aluminum, 300hp-300ft/lb, TOP MOUNT intercooler, designed for off-road use in rally cars. If anybody in houston is feelin' froggy, I've got several subaru engines in my garage. I'd be willing to attempt it, just not on my own.
litebrite2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #52
4x4basstone
1990 YJ Wrangler 

wait a darn minute... jeeps will never see high revs??? i raced a cherokee of mine.... 1/8th mile drags... trust me... runs a bit higher than 3 grand...
4x4basstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #53
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebrite2001 View Post
Has anyone dropped a subaru STi drivetrain into a Jeep yet? Low center of gravity, lightweight aluminum, 300hp-300ft/lb, TOP MOUNT intercooler, designed for off-road use in rally cars. If anybody in houston is feelin' froggy, I've got several subaru engines in my garage. I'd be willing to attempt it, just not on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #54
ranmannm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

3 words PREMIUM GAS ONLY. Thats with either a turbo or super charger. I've ridden in a Kenny Bell Jeep and it was fast. But at these gas prices you want to run premium?
ranmannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #55
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmannm View Post
3 words PREMIUM GAS ONLY. Thats with either a turbo or super charger. I've ridden in a Kenny Bell Jeep and it was fast. But at these gas prices you want to run premium?

If you can afford to put a blower or turbo on your Jeep then I'm sure the extra $2-$3 per tank isn't going to kill you.
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #56
ranmannm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
If you can afford to put a blower or turbo on your Jeep then I'm sure the extra $2-$3 per tank isn't going to kill you.
I checked and local premium is .30 more per gal. If I were to drive mine to work I would go through a tank a week, if I baby it. That works out to 5.70 per tank and 296.40 per year. I also take my jeep on trips (freeway performance is the most increased) and some of our stations don't carry premium. You would need to carry a bottle of oct booster in case.

Guess some of us have money to burn cause I sure your mpg is going to be decreased rather an increased with either a turbo or supercharger.
ranmannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #57
sasquachcrap
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I want one
sasquachcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #58
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmannm View Post
I
Guess some of us have money to burn cause I sure your mpg is going to be decreased rather an increased with either a turbo or supercharger.
maybe so maybe not, if the engine doesn't have to work as hard it will be more efficient

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #59
lilboy1023
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
Exactly! Supercharger!!!
I didn't read all the posts, but have a guy in my club with an avenger supercharger and he loves it. He is a throttle jockey, off the trail, and loves to play with it all the time.
lilboy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #60
bmx4flowers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmccall View Post
dont go offroad withit because the turbo bearings dont get along with dirt,mud,ands water. itll implode, otherwise their good besides teh lowend lag, and risks. id go with a supercharger though
i beg to differ, all rally cars are turbo and they do fine in mud, dirt, dust and water...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.