Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBY View Post
a good turbo setup will do nothing but help your top end! you got to set it up correctly throw so i would look for a kit with all the math done already. and as for durability my last 2 trucks (18 wheelers) had 500,000 miles on them and the turbos never gave me a single problem just don't run in deep water after running the engine hard.
Your last 2 trucks had humongous diesel engines capable of boost pressures that gasoline powered cars could only dream of. Let's not compare the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #17
COBY
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Look at this: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...rbo/index.html
COBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #18
COBY
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
Your last 2 trucks had humongous diesel engines capable of boost pressures that gasoline powered cars could only dream of. Let's not compare the two.
the turbo is the same just smaller and the jeep 4.0 has 8.5 to 1 com. you cant get much lower then that! trucks don't run big boost that is a rice racer thing man.
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

A) It's a magazine article.

B) I see no dyno sheets that provide a consensus of where and when the power came on.

C) They gained 65 HP to the wheels on a manual tranny. Autos have more drive-train loss. So, the power gains are even worse than I expected to see.

D) I see the word "Theory" and other versions of it being tossed around a lot.

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
the turbo is the same just smaller and the jeep 4.0 has 8.5 to 1 com. you cant get much lower then that! trucks don't run big boost that is a rice racer thing man.
Do you have any idea how much boost a stock cummins diesel in a dodge runs? Our stock '02 6-speed pumps out 26 PSI... with no mods. The Jeep in your link was only running 6.5. 20 PSI is a huge difference. There is an even bigger difference in a big-rig's systems.

Do you realize that the fuel and exhaust burning properties of your rigs and a gasoline powered Jeep TJ are 2 entirely different things?

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
COBY
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
A) It's a magazine article.

B) I see no dyno sheets that provide a consensus of where and when the power came on.

C) They gained 65 HP to the wheels on a manual tranny. Autos have more drive-train loss. So, the power gains are even worse than I expected to see.

D) I see the word "Theory" and other versions of it being tossed around a lot.
1. 65 hp is nothing to laugh at

2. dont bite my head off im just trying to help

3. do what you want to your jeep i like turbos
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #22
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
1. 65 hp is nothing to laugh at

2. dont bite my head off im just trying to help

3. do what you want to your jeep i like turbos
I'm not biting your head off, I'm trying to show you that a turbo is not very cost effective compared to other things that may improve you performance.

Unless your goal is to have some amazing 100 mph drag-jeep...

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
COBY
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i was saying the turbo will last a long time not to put a unit the size of your head on a stock jeep....dang!

in my first post i told him to get one set up correctly in a kit.

if you do it right it will work right
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #24
carpekd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think if your using your jeep for a trail rig, a setup other than a turbo is what you need. Perhaps a regear and/or stroke? That would be bullet proof and powerful on the trail.
carpekd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #25
joeyprice

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why not go with a good stroker kit?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...six/index.html
joeyprice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
onlyn8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebrite2001 View Post
Exactly. Could you imagine restricting it even further?
You drive on torque, you dont rev a jeep to kingdom come anyway. You could put a a t3 .42 from a Saab on there and get torque really low and who cares if the flow will not be efficient at 7k? The Jeep motor is a torque motor not a motor for revs so my point is top end (revs) are pointless.

Do what you want and think what you want- but every motor can benefit from turbo charging- its all in how you design it

As far as that kit goes above a T3 super 60 is about as old school as one can make a turbo. A 3076R with a .82 turbine would make alot more power and at lower revs.
1998 VW Jetta TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI 4 SALE!!
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #27
litebrite2001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Who said anything about revving to 7k? Redline is 5200, and at 4600, the power is falling off quickly. Putting on a turbo small enough to be spooled off idle will choke it after a few thousand. Obviously, a well sized turbo will minimize this effect. Slight turbo lag, with slight restriction in the top end. I've said it, no less than twice now, that proper sizing is important (or as you say, design). But thanks for re-iterating my point.

That being said, I'm out of this one. I had a 2002 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 and it had plenty of power for my taste. Same engine in a 1000lb lighter wrangler is more than enough. There's really no reason for me to be in a power thread.
litebrite2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #28
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

If you actually understand the physics behind turbos, then you'll understand this:
1. turbo lag is dependent on the size of the turbo & exhaust system - turbos are turned by exhaust backpressure...so on a 4.0L the turbo only needs to be active between idle-5,000 rpms, thats a lot different than a race car where you'd want 4,000-9,000 rpms.
2. turbo do not have a parasitic loss like superchargers.
3. boost can be talored to engine components, on the fly with adjustable valves
4. a correctly sized turbo will produce more fluid power and torque than a conventional supercharger. i'm excluding electronically controlled variable pitch turbos, and the fancy electronically controlled mercedes superchargers...just talking basic forced induction here.

505 Performance makes the only commerically available turbo kit for a 4.0L. www.505performance.com

I have ridden in a Rubicon with a 505 Performance kit installed. it was silly fast for a jeep, even kinda scary considering the SWB isnt that stable to begin with. i have driven and ridden in many fast cars, from supercharged mercedes, V8 caddy's, AWD Subi's, Saab's to a WS6 Firebird, so i know what stability at high speed is...and the Jeep doesn't have anything close.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #29
Grants99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Damn all this and i just wanted a lil more power and the cool ppppfffffshhhhh sound when i shifted sounds like turbo is not the way to go thx guys...and girls
Unread 09-09-2008, 05:40 AM   #30
Johnmac
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants99TJ View Post
... what are the advantages disadvantages and what is the best one. Are there any kits out there, prices ideas... anything that may help me out...
This thread from Redrock4x4 was doing the rounds back when I was considering a Turbo.

It's an excellent thread with lots of info and first hand experience.

Happy reading!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/4-0l-turbo-kits-131751/
Johnmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.