Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-14-2010, 06:02 AM   #196
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've considered turbocharging my Jeep but have held off due to one thing... MA state inspections. Not because of any hardware or emissions but because MA plugs into the diagnostic port and I feel to do this properly you need a programmable engine management system.

The hardware would be simple and the tuning would be 'relatively' simple. I'm partners with a friend in www.TurboChargingDynamics. We design and built systems for older BMWs.

On the subject of 'turbo lag'... SAAB figured that out almost 30 years ago. You simply need to design the system correctly.

Heat... you always see pictures of glowing turbine housings and manifolds on turbo engines. Notice they are always taken in low light. Iron based metals glow red at about 1100 degrees F in low light... a .72 Pinto engine will glow if you flog it for a while.

Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #197
NOPLANS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodkaman View Post
The main problem for turbo on Jeep motor is fuel management not a turbo lag. I've been following turbo threads for a long time, and have not found any finished setups! Everything stops on starting engine when turbo is put on, and then endless screwing with injectors, piggybacks and intercoolers. It is so strange, a lot of good turbo motors (srt4 included) and no reliable solution for turbo management yet!
This one has been on the rocks, in the water for three years now. No turbo failure, no eng failure, The piggy back ftc1 has worked perfectly after getting if set up, It takes a couple of days & a few phone calls. Then you can tune it perfectly.
img_1623.jpg   img_3054.jpg   post-3112-1263347216_thumb.jpg  
th_ftc1.jpg

NOPLANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #198
littledevilTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

NOPLANS where are you located in florida? I really like your rig.

Florida Specific Forum
www.floridajeepers.net
littledevilTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #199
NOPLANS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledevilTJ View Post
NOPLANS where are you located in florida? I really like your rig.
Saint Petersburg
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #200
Vodkaman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like joke. You live in Saint Petersburg, I live in Moscow, but not in US. In Russia! And I've seen a lot of pictures of turbo installed, but no one finished. I mean compleated and satisfied with how it works.
Vodkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #201
NOPLANS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Never been to Moscow. east berlin is the closes to russia I've been
Well this one is completed, and very satisfied with the results, This was my design and hand built by me, about 2k in parts & lots of labor to build the first one. I am running 12lb of boost, 36lb fuel injectors, t3/t4 turbo mounted to the custom header, and a ftc1-e fuel & timming managment system kept all stock emission items on the engine.
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #202
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPLANS View Post
Never been to Moscow. east berlin is the closes to russia I've been
Well this one is completed, and very satisfied with the results, This was my design and hand built by me, about 2k in parts & lots of labor to build the first one. I am running 12lb of boost, 36lb fuel injectors, t3/t4 turbo mounted to the custom header, and a ftc1-e fuel & timming managment system kept all stock emission items on the engine.
Can you pass smog emissions? If so. send me a pm.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #203
blkbird95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I posted several pages back, but my system is no longer remote. As of last winter my 98XJ with the 4.0 has a t3/t4 mounted to a custom manifold under the intake, 38mm tial style wastegate with tial guts, subaru legacy bypass valve rerouted, 36lbs ford red tops, Crane HI-6 with timing retard, Aeromotive DFMU with Walbro 255lph inline, Synapse Missing Link, AEM meth injection, and of course AEM wideband. I had to go with bigger injectors because a factory injector started leaking at the body (I had supercoupe injectors laying around). I think the pressure from the DFMU system killed it.

Just passed NY state inspection, which for my area is the regular visual and no check engine light and readiness monitors must be ready. For my 98 I can pass without 2 of the readiness being set. For you later guys with the pre-cats, I am sure there is an electric bypass available if you "move" them. I am running 8lbs, spool-up is fast and it suprises everyone that rides with me. Merging on the highway is a lot of fun! It has been turbocharged for 2 years now. Its my toy so I will alway be trying to improve it, like a bigger turbo, or a different fuel system, but as far as being satisfied....hell yeah! Wouldn't want it any other way!

Brad
blkbird95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #204
FusionWelding
1997 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed
FusionWelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #205
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ill have to read through this when I get home from work... I have my old T3 out of my 300zx I will have sitting, taking up space...
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #206
basssolow5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

this was post #2 on page one. i thought it was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebrite2001 View Post
Pros:
Being able to beat a Toyota Prius in a drag race.
turbo. $1000. all needed plumbing $450. new tires $843. beating a prius in a drag race,....... priceless! lol
colorado jeep club member #730

stimulating the economy one part at a time!
basssolow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #207
dameye924
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How much would it cost to have someone put a turbo on my jeep?
dameye924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #208
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameye924 View Post
How much would it cost to have someone put a turbo on my jeep?
call up 505 Performance.
http://www.505performance.com/

you'll need to drive to the southwest....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #209
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

dragging up an old thread....

http://www.shop.505performance.com/p...&categoryId=15

looks like it comes with an air/water intercooler...

anyone run this kit currently?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.