Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 10-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #151
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm so is this thread just an idea of a turbo or did anyone on here actually put one on yet?

I used to run a nissan 240sx with a built sr20det. I made 300ft lbs and 400rwhp. That was on a gt2871r .64 ar.. in this application I spooled 18psi by 2700rpm and the 300ft lbs was made at about 3000rpm flat torque curve to redline.

This turbo would be plenty big for a 4.0.. If you had some money to custom fab your own stuff you could make a very balanced motor out of the 4.0.. I would guess it would be very torquey and you would probably break parts.....

I saw someone menchion ecm or ecu tuning. I have experience eeproming a nissan ecu and tuning it but cant find much for the jeep. Im guessing that the jeep maps are really conservative, and you could pull out a quite a bit more effeciency and power out of the motor.

Anybody have any info on tuning the jeep ecu?? I saw something menchioned about an obdII tuning....

rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #152
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
Hmm so is this thread just an idea of a turbo or did anyone on here actually put one on yet?

Anybody have any info on tuning the jeep ecu?? I saw something menchioned about an obdII tuning....
re-read through the thread. there are links to quite a few turbo 4.0Ls in this thread...its been done and works great if properly designed. I've seen and ridden in a 03 Rubi with a homebrew/505 turbo kit. It was pretty sweet.

tuning a TJ's ECU is a big challenge. you can't tune the stock ECU, the code hasn't been cracked, and it doesn't have the hardware required. Therefore you need a piggyback ECU that can read wideband 02 sensors and a 2-bar MAP. The SplitSecond FTC-1 and the Unichip Q are the most common, easiest (and only) choices for the most part. The Unichip Q must be dyno tuned by a Unichip authorized shop. The SplitSecond FTC-1 can be trial and error tuned by a laptop, but it puts your engine in major jeopardy. A dyno tune is the best way to ensure you've got a safe A/F ratio and no knock.

Search for piggyback ECU and turbo/supercharger/stroker stuff using my name, i've posted tons of info on this forum with regard to that. Reelm'n Rubi and Robert J. yates are also very knowledgable people who run highly modified engines.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #153
BlueOvalBud
1976 CJ8 

WOW!
Great info!!!!
I typically hang out in the CJ forum, but have become interested in turbos recently. I just spent the last hour reading this thread: start to finish.
I have a couple questions, they may exist somewhere on the internet, but this thread seams like a good place to add any other turbo info for a 4.0.

So, low end boost requires a smaller turbo. One member has a turbo with a .63 hot side and has great success of achieving boost from idle up.
Top end boost requires a larger turbo, giving boost more lag but giving a higher RPM range. Jeeps aren't exactly meant for high RPM's (6k area!)

What I'm missing is numbers.
Low end boost. I only read one or two posts stating they felt boost from 1,200 RPM's up. But where did it stop boosting?

I'm interested in the turbo setup on a 4.0 as well as all others who have contributed to this overwhelming amount of knowledge, my head is spinning!

I figure to properly size a turbo, we must start with the Jeep's intended application.
Myself, my CJ is a farm Jeep that sees most of it's time "under load". The low RPM range of the 258 is fine for me so I assume the 4.0 will still be fine for me. (I plan on swapping a 4.0 and associated electrical into my CJ in order to do the turbo) What lacks is when I start pulling my heaped utility trailer of heavy green firewood out of the woods uphill. I could really use some extra boost! Beginning around 1,000 RPM and ending around 4,000 would be ideal for my application.
I know i'm shooting for a small turbo, but do all the numbers mean? .63 hot side looks like my size...
Thank you to all the knowledgable guys who have shared their knowledge!
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #154
NOPLANS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Run a .63 Hot / .50 Cold, Your not realy producing much boost at a 1000RPM but you will gain torque, You will need 30# fuel injectors, split second FTC1-E, Here is a pic of my plumming
NOPLANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #155
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPLANS View Post
Run a .63 Hot / .50 Cold, Your not realy producing much boost at a 1000RPM but you will gain torque, You will need 30# fuel injectors, split second FTC1-E, Here is a pic of my plumming
nice, what are you using for a manifold? how is the turbo mounted? What brand turbo, what trim? Do you have any heat shield setup? Any pics with the intake manifold off? How much boost? Dyno results?

MORE INFO!
Unread 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #156
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet, where in FL are you ?
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #157
NOPLANS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
nice, what are you using for a manifold? how is the turbo mounted? What brand turbo, what trim? Do you have any heat shield setup? Any pics with the intake manifold off? How much boost? Dyno results?

MORE INFO!
I am using a header I built with a t3/t4 turbo flange, The turbo is a cxracing t3/t4 .63 hot / .60 cold. ceramic coated header no heat shields, I am running 8psi of boost, No dyno runs, This is a 4.6 stroker, 42# fuel injectors, 2 1/2 stainless steel exhaust with a hushpower muffler, no catalatic converter. I will post a pic of the header later this week. Heres a pic of the under side, You can see were the turbo sits with my setup.

Last edited by NOPLANS; 01-25-2010 at 06:09 PM..
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #158
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

^^ interesting setup. what are you doing for a wastegate?
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #159
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am using a header I built with a t3/t4 turbo flange, The turbo is a cxracing t3/t4 .63 hot / .60 cold. ceramic coated header no heat shields, I am running 8psi of boost, No dyno runs, This is a 4.6 stroker, 42# fuel injectors, 2 1/2 stainless steel exhaust with a hushpower muffler, no catalatic converter. I will post a pic of the header later this week. Heres a pic of the under side, You can see were the turbo sits with my setup.
Ummm, no really, where are you from, haha...
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #160
NOPLANS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

St Pete! I am running a waste gate on the turbo & a BOV.
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #161
ozo101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyn8v View Post
What top end? Its a Jeep.
hehe good one! I dont remember ever going up there, and why would you want a faster jeep? I did 90mph on 78 the other day just to see how fast it would go and it did not feel safe at all and my jeep is stock height with impecable steering and drivetrain
Unread 01-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #162
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
St Pete! I am running a waste gate on the turbo & a BOV.
That pic of the jeep rolled over wasn't local then, huh... I'm not that far from ya, I'd like to see that thing one day. May we can do a turtle race !!!

Also who built the suspension on your TJ ?
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #163
NOPLANS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That was at a private house in Brooksville. I built everything or bought and modified everything on the jeep.
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #164
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That was at a private house in Brooksville. I built everything or bought and modified everything on the jeep.
awesome....looks like quite a setup. hows the low end torque?
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #165
jeepspeed98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok guys i just joined this thread to find out info cuz like everyone else im planning on the turbo setup. i was on another forum homemadeturbo.com doesnt seems much like a usefull place but just seeing what they had to say. anyways was talking with one of the guys there telling me i need an HX35 or HX40 holset cummins turbo...???

Just to give some info about my jeep and plans on it..
since i live in miami fl i dont have much rock or anything to climb so im looking for more horsepower.. i see here that you can only put so much but what i would like to know is how much can i really boost.. Also i have a 2wd so so much for offroading. Im planning on building a street jeep lower suspension if can be possible which i think will can be.. turbo charged.. aussie locker... roll cage.... black rock wheels... and a few misc.. upgrades stereo racing seats and harness...
**please i know im going to get it but not to much trash talk about lowering it im not slammin it just to give better center of gravity**

Anyways back to the turbo im goin to put in a set of pacesetter headers.. not sure on turbo size yet... ext. wastegate... i run the exhaust either straight back or off to the side.. this is the turbo the guy i mention before was talking bout...

HX35 or HX40 cant seem to find specs on right now im have one hell of a brain fart.. post when i find

so let me know.... all suggestions welcome
jeepspeed98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.