Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 09-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Grants99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

So after talking to a few of my friends... and looking around online, i have decided i want to put a turbo on my jeep... what are the advantages disadvantages and what is the best one. Are there any kits out there, prices ideas... anything that may help me out... thx jeepin family

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
litebrite2001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cons:
One more part to break. Turbos are somewhat finicky.
If the turbo isn't sized correctly, you'll lose performance. Too big and you end up killing your low RPM power, too small, and you run out of breath on the top end.
Chance of popping the motor if compression isn't lowered.

Pros:
More Power
Cool whistling sound
Being able to beat a Toyota Prius in a drag race.
litebrite2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You'll have lag in the bottom end with the turbo! Your better off going with a blower (supercharger)!No lag!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
litebrite2001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The turbo can be sized so that there is no lag. The problem with doing this is that it typically restricts top end.
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

dont go offroad withit because the turbo bearings dont get along with dirt,mud,ands water. itll implode, otherwise their good besides teh lowend lag, and risks. id go with a supercharger though
jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
HowIRoll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just do a re-gear. Same effect but without the cost and headache.

Did I mention:

http://longhornfabshop.com/
HowIRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebrite2001 View Post
The turbo can be sized so that there is no lag. The problem with doing this is that it typically restricts top end.
Exactly! Supercharger!!!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
litebrite2001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh... and turbine housings tend to crack if they get wet while hot.
Unread 09-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

repeating
- turbo can be sized to make no low end lag.
- Pirate4x4 has a thread where a guy fits a t3/t4 ( size in bewteen ) turbo in there with all his custom tubing and such. He spends along time on this and in the end it costs him between 1000-1500. I would suggest it if your an expert and only an expert.
- turbo kits cost 3000+ $$

Stroking it seems to be alot easier. Im sure they make stroke kits from the 4.0 to 4.7 that will be cheaper than a turbo.
patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
slate210
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not necessarily true. A hybrid turbo with variable geometry can easily produce a nearly lagless boost without dropping the top end (eg, VNT 15/17 and VNT 17/20 hybrids). A boost valve made from common brass fitting can be installed between your vacuum powered actuator and intake to reduce overboosting beyond requested during hard acceleration also helps to reduce lag and protect your investment (I made one and it works great!).
1997 TJ 4.0 5-SP 134k mi. Red Jeep Club Member #450 - Some mods...
NJJA - New Jersey Jeep Association

2006 VW Jetta TDI DSG 54k mi. BLACK Rocketchipped, boostvalve, boost gauge.
slate210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
onlyn8v

Quote:
What top end? Its a Jeep.
1998 VW Jetta TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI 4 SALE!!
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
litebrite2001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you referring to the blow off valve, or the wastegate. Either way I'm more than familiar with them. I have been wrenching on my WRX since 2002. A well tuned electronic boost controller will actually allow as fast and safer spool up than a manual one.

Are you a VW guy by any chance? TDi's use the VNT turbos is why I ask. Doing it yourself is one thing, but the OP asked for a kit. Is there anyone out there offering a variable geometry turbo kit with management?
edit: just read your sig, you are a VW guy.

If the OP is set on a turbo, then properly sizing the turbine and compressor housings and wheels is a much more realistic solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate210 View Post
Not necessarily true. A hybrid turbo with variable geometry can easily produce a nearly lagless boost without dropping the top end (eg, VNT 15/17 and VNT 17/20 hybrids). A boost valve made from common brass fitting can be installed between your vacuum powered actuator and intake to reduce overboosting beyond requested during hard acceleration also helps to reduce lag and protect your investment (I made one and it works great!).
Unread 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
litebrite2001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyn8v View Post
What top end? Its a Jeep.
Exactly. Could you imagine restricting it even further?
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
COBY
2006 TJ Wrangler 

a good turbo setup will do nothing but help your top end! you got to set it up correctly so i would look for a kit with all the math done already. and as for durability my last 2 trucks (18 wheelers) had 500,000 miles on them and the turbos never gave me a single problem just don't run in deep water after running the engine hard.
COBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate210 View Post
Quote:
Are you referring to the blow off valve, or the wastegate. Either way I'm more than familiar with them. I have been wrenching on my WRX since 2002. A well tuned electronic boost controller will actually allow as fast and safer spool up than a manual one.

Are you a VW guy by any chance? TDi's use the VNT turbos is why I ask. Doing it yourself is one thing, but the OP asked for a kit. Is there anyone out there offering a variable geometry turbo kit with management?
edit: just read your sig, you are a VW guy.

If the OP is set on a turbo, then properly sizing the turbine and compressor housings and wheels is a much more realistic solution.
He's talking about a manual boost controller. Just, FYI.

As stated, the turbo will not enjoy itself in muddy/wet/extreme conditions. The bearings, etc. are all things that can/could fail if exposed to certain types of wheeling.

Your biggest limiting factor would be the stock motor. It's an inline-6, which means the main journals are somewhat beefier than a stock v6/v8. However, it still has its limits. The kind of power boost you would get, would be minimal at best (maybe 100hp at the most... and that's being extremely positive) and it wouldn't be at the part of the power curve where a jeep would need it most or it might end up being an on-off switch that'll snap axle components.

Aside from that... You could end up with lag, but on a motor with the behavior that ours has, that is highly doubtful. Sized right, the 4.0L will spool a turbo efficiently. If need be.

You do not really want a turbo for this type of vehicle. It can be done... but it's pretty much a throwing a hot-dog down a hall-way kind of situation. I would stick to gearing correctly and at the most, using a stroker. Power adders on a Jeep would be like a midget wearing platform shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.