JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jeep-tj-4-0-turbo-charger-603810/)

Grants99TJ 09-08-2008 09:37 AM

Jeep Tj 4.0 Turbo Charger

So after talking to a few of my friends... and looking around online, i have decided i want to put a turbo on my jeep... what are the advantages disadvantages and what is the best one. Are there any kits out there, prices ideas... anything that may help me out... thx jeepin family:confused::thumbsup:

litebrite2001 09-08-2008 10:02 AM

Cons:
One more part to break. Turbos are somewhat finicky.
If the turbo isn't sized correctly, you'll lose performance. Too big and you end up killing your low RPM power, too small, and you run out of breath on the top end.
Chance of popping the motor if compression isn't lowered.

Pros:
More Power
Cool whistling sound
Being able to beat a Toyota Prius in a drag race.

GOLENJEEPTJ 09-08-2008 10:06 AM

You'll have lag in the bottom end with the turbo! Your better off going with a blower (supercharger)!No lag!

litebrite2001 09-08-2008 10:08 AM

The turbo can be sized so that there is no lag. The problem with doing this is that it typically restricts top end.

jebmccall 09-08-2008 10:09 AM

dont go offroad withit because the turbo bearings dont get along with dirt,mud,ands water. itll implode, otherwise their good besides teh lowend lag, and risks. id go with a supercharger though

HowIRoll 09-08-2008 10:09 AM

:PopCorn::PopCorn::PopCorn:

Just do a re-gear. Same effect but without the cost and headache.

Did I mention:

:PopCorn::PopCorn::PopCorn:

GOLENJEEPTJ 09-08-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litebrite2001 (Post 5675125)
The turbo can be sized so that there is no lag. The problem with doing this is that it typically restricts top end.

Exactly! Supercharger!!!:thumbsup:

litebrite2001 09-08-2008 10:33 AM

Oh... and turbine housings tend to crack if they get wet while hot.

patricknolan 09-08-2008 11:11 AM

repeating
- turbo can be sized to make no low end lag.
- Pirate4x4 has a thread where a guy fits a t3/t4 ( size in bewteen ) turbo in there with all his custom tubing and such. He spends along time on this and in the end it costs him between 1000-1500. I would suggest it if your an expert and only an expert.
- turbo kits cost 3000+ $$

Stroking it seems to be alot easier. Im sure they make stroke kits from the 4.0 to 4.7 that will be cheaper than a turbo.

slate210 09-08-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Not necessarily true. A hybrid turbo with variable geometry can easily produce a nearly lagless boost without dropping the top end (eg, VNT 15/17 and VNT 17/20 hybrids). A boost valve made from common brass fitting can be installed between your vacuum powered actuator and intake to reduce overboosting beyond requested during hard acceleration also helps to reduce lag and protect your investment (I made one and it works great!).

onlyn8v 09-08-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

What top end? Its a Jeep.

litebrite2001 09-08-2008 11:54 AM

Are you referring to the blow off valve, or the wastegate. Either way I'm more than familiar with them. I have been wrenching on my WRX since 2002. A well tuned electronic boost controller will actually allow as fast and safer spool up than a manual one.

Are you a VW guy by any chance? TDi's use the VNT turbos is why I ask. Doing it yourself is one thing, but the OP asked for a kit. Is there anyone out there offering a variable geometry turbo kit with management?
edit: just read your sig, you are a VW guy.

If the OP is set on a turbo, then properly sizing the turbine and compressor housings and wheels is a much more realistic solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slate210 (Post 5675447)
Not necessarily true. A hybrid turbo with variable geometry can easily produce a nearly lagless boost without dropping the top end (eg, VNT 15/17 and VNT 17/20 hybrids). A boost valve made from common brass fitting can be installed between your vacuum powered actuator and intake to reduce overboosting beyond requested during hard acceleration also helps to reduce lag and protect your investment (I made one and it works great!).

litebrite2001 09-08-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyn8v (Post 5675533)
What top end? Its a Jeep.

Exactly. Could you imagine restricting it even further?

COBY 09-08-2008 12:09 PM

a good turbo setup will do nothing but help your top end! you got to set it up correctly so i would look for a kit with all the math done already. and as for durability my last 2 trucks (18 wheelers) had 500,000 miles on them and the turbos never gave me a single problem just don't run in deep water after running the engine hard.

-Rudy- 09-08-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slate210 (Post 5675447)

Quote:

Originally Posted by litebrite2001 (Post 5675629)
Are you referring to the blow off valve, or the wastegate. Either way I'm more than familiar with them. I have been wrenching on my WRX since 2002. A well tuned electronic boost controller will actually allow as fast and safer spool up than a manual one.

Are you a VW guy by any chance? TDi's use the VNT turbos is why I ask. Doing it yourself is one thing, but the OP asked for a kit. Is there anyone out there offering a variable geometry turbo kit with management?
edit: just read your sig, you are a VW guy.

If the OP is set on a turbo, then properly sizing the turbine and compressor housings and wheels is a much more realistic solution.

He's talking about a manual boost controller. Just, FYI. :rolleyes:

As stated, the turbo will not enjoy itself in muddy/wet/extreme conditions. The bearings, etc. are all things that can/could fail if exposed to certain types of wheeling.

Your biggest limiting factor would be the stock motor. It's an inline-6, which means the main journals are somewhat beefier than a stock v6/v8. However, it still has its limits. The kind of power boost you would get, would be minimal at best (maybe 100hp at the most... and that's being extremely positive) and it wouldn't be at the part of the power curve where a jeep would need it most or it might end up being an on-off switch that'll snap axle components.

Aside from that... You could end up with lag, but on a motor with the behavior that ours has, that is highly doubtful. Sized right, the 4.0L will spool a turbo efficiently. If need be.

You do not really want a turbo for this type of vehicle. It can be done... but it's pretty much a throwing a hot-dog down a hall-way kind of situation. I would stick to gearing correctly and at the most, using a stroker. Power adders on a Jeep would be like a midget wearing platform shoes.

The time now is 05:28 PM.