jeep throwing codes need help and inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep throwing codes need help and inspection

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
creepyjeep420
1998 TJ Wrangler 

jeep throwing codes need help and inspection

so i need and inspection on my jeep. i already had my engine light on so it didnt pass because of that. the codes that showed up are: throttle/pedal position sensor/switch a cricuit high input.... engine coolant tempature circuit high input... vehicle speed sensor... i just put a tps on a couple months ago and my temp guage seens to work fine. but the speed odometer dosent work because i put another t case in and the speedo gears didnt match mine... idc about this stuff not working of a check engine light i just need an insepction passed. got some tickets for inspection and regeristation so i gotta get this fixed. anything helps thanks!!!

creepyjeep420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyjeep420 View Post
so i need and inspection on my jeep. i already had my engine light on so it didn't pass because of that. the codes that showed up are: throttle/pedal position sensor/switch a circuit high input.... engine coolant temperature circuit high input... vehicle speed sensor... i just put a tps on a couple months ago and my temp gauge seems to work fine. but the speed odometer doesn't work because i put another t case in and the speedo gears didn't match mine... idc about this stuff not working of a check engine light i just need an inspection passed. got some tickets for inspection and registration so i gotta get this fixed. anything helps thanks!!!
How long does it take to throw a code after you reset the computer? You can try resetting the computer and run it to inspection right away (before it throws a code) if it gives you time. Sometimes it will take a couple days to throw a code (depending on what it is).
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Plug in the vss, it may not give you the"right" speed, but you won't be throwing a code for it. It only takes a few seconds to change the gears anyways, don't know why you wouldn't have swapped yours over...

If you bought a cheap parts store tps it can easily have failed already.

If you can't get an inspection with the light on in your area, then someone passing you in that condition may face very large fines for doing so.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
creepyjeep420
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i took about 15 min for the light to come back on after they reset it. i can get a hold of a code reader and reset my light. can i reset my light and take it in the quickly and the codes wont show up on there comp? idc about the codes it showing my jeep runs and drives fine. o and the speedo dosent work because the t case i got had the plug for a yj and wouldent fit on mine
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
i took about 15 min for the light to come back on after they reset it. i can get a hold of a code reader and reset my light. can i reset my light and take it in the quickly and the codes wont show up on there comp? idc about the codes it showing my jeep runs and drives fine. o and the speedo dosent work because the t case i got had the plug for a yj and wouldent fit on mine
Deal you old sensor back to it...it uses the same mounts.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i. can i reset my light and take it in the quickly and the codes wont show up on there comp?
No. Their computer doesn't even look at the codes, it looks at the emissions "OK" variables, which take a while to go from "Pending" to "OK" state after you reset the computer. They won't pass it in the "Pending" state and my guess is that it never gets to the "OK" state before the light comes back on and puts it back into "Failed" state.

This assumes they're plugging into the ODBCII port under the driver's kickpanel. You should probably go searching for the emissions variables yourself with your code scanner just to see for yourself, it's often non-obvious how to get to that screen on cheaper code scanners, but I'm not aware of one that doesn't have that capability.
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
creepyjeep420
1998 TJ Wrangler 

alright so fixing it is about the only way to get this settled. the speedo i can prob fix but i dont understand what the high voltage on the tps and engine coolant is? ik my tps went bad before and it ran funky with it bad but now it dosent do that at all now. anyone know what/ how to fix the high voltage?. and just so i know can i reset the comp ( have about 10-15 min before i comes back on) and try to get them to pass it then?
Unread 02-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
can i reset the comp ( have about 10-15 min before i comes back on) and try to get them to pass it then?
Short answer: No. Impossible.

Long answer:
The computer is explicitly designed so that when you reset it (or clear a code with your code scanner), it goes into "Pending" state rather than "OK" state. And their computer will *not* pass it when it's in "Pending" state.
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post

Long answer:
The computer is explicitly designed so that when you reset it (or clear a code with your code scanner), it goes into "Pending" state rather than "OK" state. And their computer will *not* pass it when it's in "Pending" state.
I just dealt with this here trying to pass Arizona emissions. The day I decided to get the Jeep tested the started died and I changed it in the Autozone parking lot. I then drove to the testing place and they said the computer wasn't ready due to the battery being disconnected. It was news to me as I never had to deal with things like that back home. (Or maybe I did and just never did work on the Jeep before the safety inspection) It ended up taking roughly 4 days and almost 200 miles of driving before the computer came back to a ready state. You can check it by turning the key to the on position and watching the engine light. If it comes on and goes off or stays on after about 10-12 secs then the computer is ready to be tested. If the light flashes after that amount of time it is not ready.
Coldfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
creepyjeep420
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post

Long answer:
great info thanks for clearing that up for me. so my options are fix it for find some one to give me an "inspection" lol
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Good luck with that. I don't know about your state, but in my state they can't "fix" emissions inspections anymore, 'cause the state emissions testing machine in the shop talks directly to the state's computer and your VIN is in the car computer. When I had my car tested they didn't even bother giving me a certificate, telling me "it's in the State's computer now, they won't ask you for one at the DMV, they'll just know because it'll pop up on their screen that your VIN tested good." And they were right.
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
Smitty777
1995 ZJ 

What I usaully do when I get multiple codes is start ruling out components. I have customers that call and tell me "the local parts store" told them what codes they had and sell them all the parts...after customer installs said parts they still have an Mil on. Test the individual components and work back from there. If you have access to mitchell or alldata you can get schematics and test procedures. its possible all these componenets are on the same circuit. I had a 98 jeep that had a bad circuit board on the back of the speedo..drove me nuts. Another excellent source is IATN.
Smitty777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #13
shotcake
2005 TJ Wrangler 

@coldfever....so mine after 10-12 seconds blinks nd then stays on with key in on position...what does that mean? When I start the car the light goes off?
shotcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
shotcake
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcake
@coldfever....so mine after 10-12 seconds blinks nd then stays on with key in on position...what does that mean? When I start the car the light goes off?
Found problem it was replacing gas cap!
shotcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light , codes

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.