Jeep still smells hot months after SYE install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep still smells hot months after SYE install

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
01amberfirewv
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep still smells hot months after SYE install

I installed an SYE last summer and noticed that it smelled hot (I know hot has no smell but you know what I mean) after driving, especially at higher interstate speeds. When I first noticed it I thought it was just the woody shaft throwing grease on the exhaust but I still smell it. I remember using a small precision screw driver to push the pump back up on the plate but is it possible that it fell back down after the install? Could it be due to my pinion angle being slightly off?

Unread 12-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
farinspace

i had troubles too with getting the pump pipe/hose back on the fitting, it has to snap into place, i almost let it go thinking it was ok, but decided to force it a bit more until it snapped into place ... i then was convinced it was on.

Let the jeep cool for a bit and get under it see if you can pin-point the smell ...
Unread 12-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
01amberfirewv
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I do remeber it clicking into place but that is the only thing I can think of. I'll have to try the sniffer test again
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
jrtdogbone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's most likely grease from your sye spraying on the muffler- tailpipe. Everytime you grease the sye, it only needs a bit. It's easy to over-grease and whala, you get that smell like something's burning up.

You're just having the " Didn't I get that TC Oil Pump on correctly freak-out."

The Dog

2004 Jeep Willys
http://jeep-willys.com/
jrtdogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
DaveE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed a Tom Woods SYE and had the same experience. I crawled under it and there was grease all over from the U-joints. It really smells when the muffler is hot.

I had the same worries about the oil pickup being seated properly in the oil pump. However, I think that the pickup tube to the oil pump can't come out if it was pushed in adequately. I think the bottom of the t-case will hold it in place.

You could always drive it for a while, crawl under it and put your hand on the t-case if you are still worried.
DaveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem but it was cause I did the speedo gear at the same time and the tranny fluid was leaking out of the speedo gear just enough to blow a drop back once in a while...just a thought as I could hardly notice the leak by looking at it?
Unread 12-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
01amberfirewv
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just looked and there is some oil around the output shaft seal. I may have a small leak there but I don't know if any is comming out or not. I'll have to keep looking around. Thanks for all the suggestions
Unread 12-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Kentuckyarms
2012 JK Wrangler 

I also smell the same burning odor. I believe it is grease from the Tom Woods drive shaft. I know it isn't the SYE because I used the Hack n Tap version.
RE 2" Budget Boost
285/75/16 MT
Kentuckyarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.