Jeep sputtering, gauges flickering! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep sputtering, gauges flickering!

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Rica_Marine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep sputtering, gauges flickering!

Need advice for my 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ manual 5 speed 2.5L:

So I'm driving down the road and all of a sudden my Jeep begins to sputter, like it's coughing or something, while my gauges on the dashboard flicker. After a few fits of this, it goes back to cruising normally. It's been happening randomly. There are times when I drive to work and nothing happens, and there are times when I'm pulling into 1st and barely make it out of the stop light and am forced to pull to the right as the Jeep struggles to get speed. A couple of times the fuel tank light will come on and the fuel gage will drop as if it's empty, even though I'll have at least a 1/2 tank of gas in.

A buddy of mine told me it might be either bad spark plugs. I also took it to Midas this morning and they told me I had to replace the entire wiring harness and that it would not be cheap.

Would anybody know for sure how much I can expect to pay? Anybody have any other ideas as to what might be the source of this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gunny

Rica_Marine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'd check your battery terminals first- sounds like your losing all power. Trace form there back to check the main fuse block for corroded connections and grounds.
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
sputtering , wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.