Jeep running cold, bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep running cold, bad?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep running cold, bad?

Hey all, so i did a search and couldn't find exactly what i was looking for;

my Jeep never seems to hit 210* which, according to Big Bad Bransford, is the optimal operating temp for the I-6. That said, i don't remember my running temp from the summer, other than it wasn't overheating, but now, with daily temps in the mid 20's and 30's, my Jeep runs at, what i figure to be, about 190*, which is 20* cooler than the "optimal" temperature.

i am assuming that my thermostat is to blame, for it is a '97 and i doubt the PO had to change one (and the Jeep is nearing her 100,000 mile birthday), so replacing it should fix the issue, correct?

i dont want to just go replacing random parts to see whats up, but this spring i plan on doing a radiator flush and possibly a high-flow thermostat housing (thanks Stu) WITH a new thermostat. is this the right way to go, or am i missing something? suggestions? thanks!

Red Jeep Club member # 389

FLY NAVY!
deerhunter1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

I'm having the same problem on my I-6 WJ. Replaced two thermostats so far and on my digital gauge I get about 190-205F max. I've used stant thermostats so come spring I'm going to Mopar, may be the only choice.
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so i just did a little reading on some stuff i found via Google; the high-flow t-stat housing is gonna lower temperatures, and as my possible goal is increasing temperatures, this mod is out...

again, i could be wrong, so please, any advice is welcome!

FLY NAVY!
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ever wonder why 18 wheelers and buses have those wraps they can undo and it cuts off air to their radiator? For cold weather. Your TJ is the same way, it just doesnt need to be hot like a diesel. Its not going to hurt it to run a little bit cooler than 210.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say your fine. My temp gauge needle sits on the "2" of the 210 mark.

Where is the needle sitting that makes you say it's 190 deg?
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

As long as you're running a 195* T-stat you should be fine. Next time you do a flush on the cooling system, it's not unreasonable to swap the t-stat as preventative maint.

If you have a 195* t-stat and it's freezing outside the IR thermometer readings of 190-205 mean that the t-stat is doing its job. It's closing below, and opening above 195*.

You should be concerned that your t-stat is malfunctioning if the Jeep takes an unordinarily long time to warm up, you get an OBD code for a cold engine, or the t-stat hovers way low (180 ish).
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
deerhunter1911
1997 TJ Wrangler 

perfect. mdm, the needle sits about halfway between non-labeled tick and the 210* tick. as long as its normal, im a-ok with it! i'll pay attention to it as it gets warmer and see what happens.

anyone recommend the high-flow t-stat housing, and if so, have a good one to use?

thanks again!

FLY NAVY!
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd probably at least try replacing the thermostat once. They aren't that expensive. I had this issue on my YJ where it was running about 180 and replacing the thermostat got it back up to normal temps.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
SilverBullot
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It does not need to be dead on the 210 degree mark. Generally if your running slightly under the 210 thats about normal. As long as its not running past 210 your gonna be ok
(ಠ_ృ)
97 TJ A/C Compressor for SALE!
SilverBullot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
chrlsmunson1993
1997 TJ Wrangler 

no heat at all in the jeep

my tj runs just over the first labled tick. ive had it running for hours and the temp doesnt rise above 155. and i have a 195 thermostat in it and also along with the engine temp not rising i have no heat whatsoever out of my vents. it makes for a heck of a ride here in missouri at 20 degrees outside. id love to have a little heat. any thing that could cause the loss of heat? i have a 2.5L with an exhaust leak but i wouldnt have expected a leak like that to cause a heat loss??
chrlsmunson1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlsmunson1993 View Post
my tj runs just over the first labled tick. ive had it running for hours and the temp doesnt rise above 155. and i have a 195 thermostat in it and also along with the engine temp not rising i have no heat whatsoever out of my vents. it makes for a heck of a ride here in missouri at 20 degrees outside. id love to have a little heat. any thing that could cause the loss of heat? i have a 2.5L with an exhaust leak but i wouldnt have expected a leak like that to cause a heat loss??
Your thermostat is stuck open, replace it and you'll be good.
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How accurate do you think your gauge really is? All it takes is a little build up of slime on the sending unit to make it be off a little.If you have access to one of those infra-red guns, you can check the temperature in several places, thermostat housing, top of rad etc.. IMO though, you are fine at this point, although a s flush in the spring would not hurt.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM626 View Post
How accurate do you think your gauge really is? All it takes is a little build up of slime on the sending unit to make it be off a little.If you have access to one of those infra-red guns, you can check the temperature in several places, thermostat housing, top of rad etc.. IMO though, you are fine at this point, although a s flush in the spring would not hurt.
I've never replaced the sending unit in my '98, with 218k miles, and it has always behaved/read the same given comparable conditions. I find it to be a very good indicator of an issue when it doesn't read/behave in a 'normal' manner (normal meaning what I'm used to seeing). On several occasions I've had it read low or high or just not ramp up from cold in a familiar way and in each case I was able to trace it to some issue that needed attention (thermostat, water pump, radiator, etc). Like gas mileage, temp is a very good early indicator that something is going south in the vehicle, in my experience.

Both my TJ's run just on the south side of the 210 tick mark when up at temp (meaning the indicator is touching the 210 tick mark). What temp this actually represents is anyone's guess; but when the vehicles don't run there I look into it because I know I'll find something that is causing it.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.