Jeep Rubicon Gas Mileage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Rubicon Gas Mileage?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
whitecon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep Rubicon Gas Mileage?

I just bought a brand new 2006 jeep rubicon and it is getting 10.5 miles p/gal. I don't expect it to get the MPG stated on the window sticker (15 city) but 10.5 mpg on stock a stock vehicle??? I took it to the dealer and asked about a break in period and they told me it could be possible, but if something was wrong with the emissions that the Check Engine Light would come on. So of course, the dealer was no help.

whitecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Conundrum

How many miles? Once it breaks in, it should get better a little. Don't expect any good mileage when something is brand spanking new.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How many miles are on it. What methode of calculating the milage are you using?

Stick-auto?

These things are not great on gas, and in all city driving, I think you close.
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got a constant 38mpg in my Rubicon when it was new, it only went up to 40 after I broke the engine in.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
milehighclub

Quote:
I got a constant 38mpg in my Rubicon when it was new, it only went up to 40 after I broke the engine in.
Maybe you meant 3.8 and 4.0
milehighclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
whitecon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have just over 1000 miles. It's a manual tranny. Its also an unlimited if that makes a difference. I'm hopeing that getting a chip, intake, and throttle body spacer will help a bit. The method used for calculation is the ammount of miles driven from fill up to gas light coming on, divided by the ammount of gas it takes to fill back up. (not verry scientific but it seems to work)
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
whitecon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

38 mpg? Are you sure its not some new hybrid jeep?
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #8
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecon
I have just over 1000 miles. It's a manual tranny. Its also an unlimited if that makes a difference. I'm hopeing that getting a chip, intake, and throttle body spacer will help a bit. The method used for calculation is the ammount of miles driven from fill up to gas light coming on, divided by the ammount of gas it takes to fill back up. (not verry scientific but it seems to work)

Save your money for fuel, or a lift. The mods you talk about will not get you the money you spent on them back, and your jeep will not get any faster!
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

People despise gas milage threads on this forum, not the best way to start off. That being said, drive like grandma with the doors and the roof on, accelerate very slowly, always use the highest gear possible. I get 16-19 w/ my 5spd, but I also don't have an unlimited. Realize you are not going to get good gas milage in a brick on wheels.
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #10
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He was joking.

Ur new so I'll cut you some slack in the flame dept.. .only cause the question is about a break in period...

But MPG threads around here are a dime a dozen and usually end up Blasting the guy that asked
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Old Guy Jeep Club #1026[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Canadian[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Club[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Member[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]#1026[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=schitzangiggles] But since you are barely able to vote, are younger than some of my socks and as inteligent as the fecal droppings from a retarded Chimpanzee you go right ahead and keep on keepin on. [/QUOTE] - Posted in response to a moron wheeling illegally.
Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
RockyTopJeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe its all downhill in neutral ...or perhaps hes got a sail on it... Let me know how to get that gas mileage and I will let you have my wife.
08 Jeep Cherokee SRT-8 - Black
08 Jeep Liberty Sun Slider -White
09 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - White
RockyTopJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #12
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hes messing with you.
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
Slaughter

did the dealer run diagnostic on it? when new mpg can be a little bad.. but it will get a little better.. A LITTLE.

i had the same issue on my audi.. turned out it was running rich. but from what i read on these forums.. tj = bad mpg.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #14
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I also have an '06 manual, and I'm getting around 13-14 (guesstimate). I haven't sat down and calculated it because I'm afraid to. I traded in a Sport with 3.73 gears and it got around 16-17 city driving. The rubi's low gears really take a toll on mileage. But it's got some good pickup and torque compared to my old TJ.

Lots of positive feedback about the Edge Trailjammer kit for improving a couple mpgs. Unfortunately they don't make the kit for 05-06 yet.

Write them and ask for it! http://edgeproducts.com
buddastrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #15
whitecon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

O.K. no more about gas mileage! I definately did not buy it with fuel economy in mind. I'll get over it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.