Jeep revs itself at startup and intermittently - also, code P-1494. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep revs itself at startup and intermittently - also, code P-1494.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep revs itself at startup and intermittently - also, code P-1494.

As of about a week ago, every time I start my Jeep it revs itself up to about 2k RPM before settling back in around 750. If I just sit at idle, it'll stay there for a while and then climb back up to about 2k again. It went almost up to 3k once. Then it alternates back and forth.

If I drive, it does the same thing; I was cruising by a shopping plaza a few days ago, so I was just coasting in second without touching the gas, as there were a lot of pedestrians around, and all on its own the Jeep revs up and exceeds 15mph when I had been going about 5mph through the foot traffic. I don't notice it once I'm beyond second gear, 'cause stepping on the gas doesn't do anything above second gear anyway.

Notes:
1) The only code on there has been on there for about 2 years, and I never bothered to fix it. P-1494. Leak detection pump? Don't think that's related.
2) About two weeks ago, about a week before the Jeep started throttling itself, I noticed that the clutch pedal started to click when I depress it - but only sometimes. Probably unrelated. I did have the clutch replaced recently though.
3) It's not as though the cable is sticking. The Jeep revs itself without me touching the gas pedal, and it'll alternate back and forth without me touching the pedal.
4) Maybe I need to clean out the throttle body? Sensor telling the computer the engine isn't getting enough oxygen?

#4 is my best thought and if cleaning out the throttle body doesn't make any difference I s'pose I'll try to track down that code. Anyone have any better ideas?

TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

my jeep did that for a while then the rpm started to become eratic opon start up so i research this forum and found the the o2 sensor my be bad so i unplugged the one on hte manafold and so far so good. no rpm problems better milage, so i guess i need to replace the o2 sensor. I dont now if this is your same prob but it doesnt hurt to try and narrow down this real problem before taking it to the rip off artists.
SnoqulmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoqulmieTJ View Post
my jeep did that for a while then the rpm started to become eratic opon start up so i research this forum and found the the o2 sensor my be bad so i unplugged the one on hte manafold and so far so good. no rpm problems better milage, so i guess i need to replace the o2 sensor. I dont now if this is your same prob but it doesnt hurt to try and narrow down this real problem before taking it to the rip off artists.
No code on yours?

I just looked around the leak detection pump... had a vacuum line unhooked. Probably been like that for a couple years. Hooked it back up. Made no difference on the RPMs, but I bet that's what the code was about.

The oxygen sensor seems plausible. I'll see if I can change that next week when I'm on vacation. Any more input?
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
SnoqulmieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just unplugg it at first to see if there is a change, the factory settings are pritty good so you should se a change if the o2 sensor is bad. if not then try the other one after the cat to see if that on is bad. i know there is about 10 things that can lead to these same symptoms so it is a chore to figure it out i have been dealing with this same thing for about a month now and i think i have it figured out
SnoqulmieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I've gone through all the oxygen sensors in the exhaust, with no change. I think tomorrow I'll try cleaning out the throttle body... even though I did that a little over a year ago.

Tags
p1494 , high idle , start-up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.