Jeep Radiator Problem, you too? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Radiator Problem, you too?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Radiator Problem, you too?

Just curious I had two Jeep TJs radiators start leaking this on two seperate TJs. Then, a guys at my work his Cherokee started leaking too. Anyone else just curious all three at the same time seems like a big coincidence. Have a good one!

Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
Tjosh97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
finsout
2001 TJ Wrangler 

the stock radiators are junk. get an all metal one. easy install.
finsout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjosh97 View Post
Just curious I had two Jeep TJs radiators start leaking this on two seperate TJs. Then, a guys at my work his Cherokee started leaking too. Anyone else just curious all three at the same time seems like a big coincidence. Have a good one!

Bad things happen in threes .. didn't you know that
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The stock radiator is known to separate along the plastic end caps where the metal is crimped. Although I recently bought a replacement OEM style (knowing this will happen again. ) from a local radiator shop. I wasn't completely sold on getting an all metal radiator because I did read about problems with those as well. Chances are an all metal radiator would be better. But I'd rather just have to drive my new radiator to a local shop than ship it off in the case that it breaks.
Jeep: 1999 Black TJ Sahara, 6-cylinder, 4.0L, front dana 30, rear dana 44, 3.73 gears, 3" Teraflex, 15x8 Eagle Alloys, 33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Bestop Sailcloth top, KC 150w Daylighters, KC 55w fogs, CB radio, 73k miles
Daily Driver: '05 Silver Civic EX Coupe, 4 cyl 5-speed Manual, ~35 MPG, 54k miles
xltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The Jeep's radiator is a pretty easy replacement. That was my first repair I did on my own Jeep. Check out the writeup at Jeep TJ Web Site of Stu Olson - N7QJP
Unread 12-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsout View Post
the stock radiators are junk. get an all metal one. easy install.
All brass radiators are junk also, IMO. In a TJ, those have problems with the core tubes seperating from the tanks...
Unread 12-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i recently replaced mine with an OEM one with plastic tanks. i figure that i got almost 100k out of the old one then i should get the same out of another one as long as i keep driving the way i do.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking about getting a CSF Radiator with aluminum core or maybe Ready-Rad radiator with aluminum core..... but I just thought it was crazy that all three jeeps started leaking. Maybe a jeep villain going around poking holes...lol
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
Unread 12-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wif View Post
Bad things happen in threes .. didn't you know that
yep.....btw NICE pic!
Unread 12-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
It's not just Jeeps. Scads of vehicles out there use aluminum cores clamped to plastic tanks. My F-350 (7.5) rad was leaking a few years ago, and I replaced it with an all-aluminum radiator, to the tune of six hundred bucks!

If you do go with an all-aluminum radiator, be aware that you MUST use distilled water in the coolant mix, after using distilled water to flush all the old coolant from the system.

It is very possible for tap-water mixed coolant to conduct electricity (usually because of a bad ground on the engine). Over time, the electrical current flowing through the coolant to ground will eat through the radiator, one molecule at a time. It's the same as electroplating, but in reverse... the molecules of aluminum are lifted from the inside of the radiator and are held in flux in the coolant. If the inside of your filler neck is dark gray or black, it's happening.

Distilled water does not conduct electricity, so using distilled water in your coolant mix effectively stops the electrolysis.

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
i recently replaced mine with an OEM one with plastic tanks. i figure that i got almost 100k out of the old one then i should get the same out of another one as long as i keep driving the way i do.
My same thinking. 10 years and 74k miles. If I get that out of the new radiator I'll be happy. Who knows if a rock will get to it before then
Jeep: 1999 Black TJ Sahara, 6-cylinder, 4.0L, front dana 30, rear dana 44, 3.73 gears, 3" Teraflex, 15x8 Eagle Alloys, 33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Bestop Sailcloth top, KC 150w Daylighters, KC 55w fogs, CB radio, 73k miles
Daily Driver: '05 Silver Civic EX Coupe, 4 cyl 5-speed Manual, ~35 MPG, 54k miles
Unread 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
crusty1007

Im using a Visteon Core with Tig welded Aluminum tanks.
Using spring style washers to clamp it to the grill assembly.
I haven't had any issues since tossing the brass/copper assembly away. (it was only in for a little over a year & the mounts tore from the cores, I assume from vibration & bouncing around. It looked pretty ragged & was also leaking from a core.)

The Alu. one has been in it for 2 years & looks good as new.

If you go Alu. just make sure to use DI water & proper coolant.

The Alu. also offers better cooling efficiency.

www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
It's not just Jeeps. Scads of vehicles out there use aluminum cores clamped to plastic tanks. My F-350 (7.5) rad was leaking a few years ago, and I replaced it with an all-aluminum radiator, to the tune of six hundred bucks!

If you do go with an all-aluminum radiator, be aware that you MUST use distilled water in the coolant mix, after using distilled water to flush all the old coolant from the system.

It is very possible for tap-water mixed coolant to conduct electricity (usually because of a bad ground on the engine). Over time, the electrical current flowing through the coolant to ground will eat through the radiator, one molecule at a time. It's the same as electroplating, but in reverse... the molecules of aluminum are lifted from the inside of the radiator and are held in flux in the coolant. If the inside of your filler neck is dark gray or black, it's happening.

Distilled water does not conduct electricity, so using distilled water in your coolant mix effectively stops the electrolysis.
Great info and ya I always use distilled water when flushing and filling.
Unread 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My original radiator started leaking at under 50,000 miles, and the all metal replacement was leaking less than 30,000 miles later. My Jeep has just over 89,000 miles and I am on my third radiator.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
My original radiator started leaking at under 50,000 miles, and the all metal replacement was leaking less than 30,000 miles later. My Jeep has just over 89,000 miles and I am on my third radiator.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get your all metal replacement? And do you think that one leaked b/c of flexing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.