Jeep Overheated - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Overheated

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Optik45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Overheated

I was driving and my jeep temp pinned to red and badly overheated. Smoke/Steam was barreling out of the engine compartment and then I heard a loud Pop noise. It happened a few miles from my house so I got it home safely. The Radiator is still full of coolant. What should I check/replace? I imagine the thermastat needs to be replaced, what else should I check for?

1" MORE MML
33x12.5" BFG MTs on Tech-1 Rock Crawlers
KC 130W Long Range Slimlites mounted on Windshield.
JKS Quick Disconnects
and a lot of other trinkets

My Jeep
Optik45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just cross your fingers. Check your oil after you drive it a little and make sure it doesn't look like chocolate milk. If it does, I'd start shopping for a new motor. My XJ overheated bad when my wife was driving it, and I got lucky. As soon as she got it home, I started running water through the overflow periodically to cool it, but I didn't start it until it was completely cooled. It got hot enough to melt the plastic covering on the injector wiring.

These 4.0s are tough motors, but if they get hot enough you can crack a head, blow a head gasket, and do valve damage. I'd wait before you start replacing everything. I'm still running the same water pump and thermostat, and this thing overheated 20,000 miles ago.
Unread 01-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik45
I was driving and my jeep temp pinned to red and badly overheated. Smoke/Steam was barreling out of the engine compartment and then I heard a loud Pop noise. It happened a few miles from my house so I got it home safely. The Radiator is still full of coolant. What should I check/replace? I imagine the thermastat needs to be replaced, what else should I check for?
Try giving a slightly more detailed explanation of "I was driving". Did you just finish wheelin'? Was your vehicle sitting in -40F temps all night long and you were a couple of miles down the road when it happended? You went through a deep mud pit and packed your radiator full of mud?

Hard for folks to determine what "might" have gone bad when they have nothing to go on. At that best, you're going to get guesses since no one can actually look at the problem you have.....so you might as well help those guesses be a bit more on target by providing some background info.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is there any leakage? You said there was smoke/steam barreling, then there should be a leak somewhere. If the radiator was still full I would start by checking the water pump and thermostat.
Unread 01-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Optik45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

By driving i just mean from work to home in 30F temps. I just replaced the Thermo. I let it run for a bit and noticed a lot of white smoke from the tailpipe and it is dripping a nasty black liquid from the tailpipe and muffler, I cant tell if it is oil or not. After about 10 minutes of idling, I noticed a steam like leak (smells like coolant) coming from the rear of the engine back by the firewall. Im unable to determine where exactly it is coming from.
1" MORE MML
JKS Quick Disconnects

My Jeep
Unread 01-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
truckin88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

water pump?

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #442
truckin88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Optik45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well I thought all was dandy. I drove it to a restaurant about 5 miles away. Everything seemed great. Temps were good. Heater was working well. I drove home, as I pulled into the driveway, steam was boiling out of the engine bay. I opened the hood and coolant everywhere. Its like something exploded in there. There is no possible way to see where its coming from.
1" MORE MML
JKS Quick Disconnects

My Jeep
Unread 01-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
By driving i just mean from work to home in 30F temps. I just replaced the Thermo. I let it run for a bit and noticed a lot of white smoke from the tailpipe and it is dripping a nasty black liquid from the tailpipe and muffler, I cant tell if it is oil or not. After about 10 minutes of idling, I noticed a steam like leak (smells like coolant) coming from the rear of the engine back by the firewall. Im unable to determine where exactly it is coming from.
Quote:
Well I thought all was dandy. I drove it to a restaurant about 5 miles away. Everything seemed great. Temps were good. Heater was working well. I drove home, as I pulled into the driveway, steam was boiling out of the engine bay. I opened the hood and coolant everywhere. Its like something exploded in there. There is no possible way to see where its coming from.
Let it cool down and then refill the radiator and find the leak.

It is not un-normal for a small amount of water (condensate) to come out of the tailpipe and being black would be from a rich running engine. Pouring out water is another thing though.

You might want to conduct a compression test on all cylinders, check the oil for water.

There has to be some cause and you will need to find it, just driving around does not do it. You need to be looking in the engine bay while the engine is running to find the leak.
Unread 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
ram1500dodge
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i did this the other day...had the rad full with water all summer because i have a small leak...the temp dropped below freezing and it all froze up. i overheated with the same thing happening, steam and water boiling over...however, the only water boiling was in the radiator, the rest of the water was still frozen in the engine. i got lucky, no leaks, didnt pop any freeze plugs and didnt crack the block. i know this really doesnt help, but your now the only one to overheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish View Post
......If hooking up some suspected terrorist's nads to a car battery yields a .001 % chance that we get a tiny bit of information that might save 1 American life I couldn't care less, red is positive and black is negative......
ram1500dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
hawaii
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How did you not notice the engine getting hotter before the steam started "barrelling" out? My eyes are always on 3 things when they're not looking where I am driving - temp guage, oil pressure guage and gas guage. If those bastards move, I'm either cranking up the heat, checking my oil or filling up at a gas station.
hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
joemiranda

I am new to this forum. I have a quick question to ask. I am hoping for the best but thinking of the worst. My mother, God bless her heart, she was driving my 97 Grand cherokee when it quit running. She said it started back so she drove it some more. Then the Jeep started boiling smoke out from under the hood. She kept driving. Well, it stalled one more time then she tried to start it but it did nothing. It did not turn the motor over or anything. She said it was rattling severely but she kept driving it. To make a long story short, she overheated it to the point of locking the engine down. When it cooled it was able to be turned over but will not start. I work about an hour away from home so I was not able to go assist her. The Jeep was towed to a buddies shop. When I got there the first thing I did was checked the oil, it looked fine. There was no chocolate milk in there! Checked the transmission fluid, there was no milk in there either. Checked the radiator and it was bone dry. I tried to start it and now it sounds like you have all the plugs pulled out. There is no compression in the motor at all. My diagnosis would be the timing chain.

So my question is going to be this. Is this an interference motor?
Would my first venture be on the front of the motor?
Should I just say bye bye to this 4.0 and just buy another one?

The Jeep has 168,000 miles and run strong until the day it overheated.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
joemiranda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
hawkdrums

Over heated Jeep

The other night I overheat my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic. I pulled over to find that my radiator had a hole in it. I had it towed home. It started up fine once it cooled, so no engine problems so far. The next day I replace the radiator and thermostat. The car started up fine and sounded good. The car was running nice and cool. I ran it for 20 mins. But, once the the car was warm I shut it off. I assumed that all was well. Then I went to restart it and now it won't hold an idle. If I hold the pedal it runs(sounds) fine.
I was wondering if this could be a heat sensor issue, computer issue, or engine.
Can anybody offer some insight ?

Thank You
hawkdrums
hawkdrums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
uvalax236
2006 TJ Wrangler 

To all you with these issues: go get a compression test and post the results here.
RE 4.5 Springs/BrakeLines/HD TB, Currie Steering, VVME 3000k, 6000k HID Systems, IPF H4 Headlights,
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Moab's, 5.13's and TruSpeed
uvalax236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.