Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Newbie Questions

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Clarke2k 
#1 ·
As the title states I am a "Newbie" to the Jeep. I inherited mine from my parent and am loving it, but I have recently ran into a problem. Recently I found out it needs a complete rear axle assembly. My mechanic has been looking for it at salvage yards and other places to try and find one around $500 or so, but has only been able to find ones in the $1300 - $1700 range. I know very little about vehicles, especially Jeeps, so I have been unhelpful in locating anything, and when I do look I don't understand what I am looking at. So a long story short, what am I looking for? I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with the 6 cylinder 4x4 automatic. I very very seldom use the 4x4 feature. No modifications have been done to it so it is strictly stock. I have been able to find rear axle assemblies for the cherokee and grand cherokee, would those possibly fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ol' Schmoe...:thumbsup:

#2 ·
Two different rear axles are possible D35 or D44, more information is needed. Is this a Wrangler Sahara, Sport, Rubicon or? Does it have rear disc brakes or drum? Easiest way to tell is the fill hole on the rear axle is the plug metal or rubber? If metal its a D44. Why does the axle need to be replaced what are the symptoms? Let us know and I am sure someone will chime in with ideas etc. AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

#3 ·
I highly doubt your Jeep needs a "complete rear axle assembly", unless it's been in a wreck and the axle housing itself is bent. It doesn't sound like it has, so give us some more details about what exactly is wrong with it. You could replace every stock component in your rear axle for cheaper than $1300, so forget about finding a new one and lets work on fixing the one you have now. Ask your mechanic, very specifically, what is wrong with your axle, then come back and report.

#7 ·
Put some fluid back in it and go to another shop. Don't need a new assembly just to do a rebuild. Which is all it needs.

Why did you take it there to begin with? Was it making a bunch of noise? Please tell us more about the problem you were having with it.

#8 ·
Ok, well his terminology is wrong. You don't need an entire axle assembly, you need the internals of your rear differential rebuilt. You're probably looking at a new ring and pinion, a master install kit (comes with all necessary bearings and shims), a new carrier and spider gears. That's probably close to $500 in parts, and you're probably looking at $200-$300 in labor. If you could score a stock D35 from a junkyard/Craigslist with the matching ring and pinion gear ratio of your front axle, you would definitely come out cheaper.

#9 ·
It began making a noise while driving, now that I think about it was a sort of grinding noise, so I parked it for a couple weeks. I recently moved and so I decided I would use it to go back and forth to work for a couple days (about 3 miles round trip) before taking it in to be looked at. The second day on my way home i heard a loud bang and a heavy grind. It continued to drive but it didn't seem like it was shifting so I drove the rest of the way home, about 3 blocks, and parked it. The next day I had it towed to the shop.

#13 ·
When you say D35 is it a universal item? or do I need to have specific information such as gear ratio or something. Initially the mechanic said something about nonABS and he told me they would ask me a bunch of other questions that he didn't seem interested in filling me in on.

#14 ·
It's not a universal part, it just happens to be the most common rear axle. Most sport packages came with them. Read the Stock TJ Specifications thread below and educate yourself on what exactly your Jeep has. You need to know the axle type and gear ratio.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stock-tj-specifications-452871/

#22 ·
I agree get an axle from a TJ so it will bolt right up if you do the swap. I think you should bring it to another shop and have it rebuilt before buying an axle.
$170 for good Ring and pinion
$230 for Carrier with Spider gears
$120 for master install kit
$300-400 for labor
$850 ish with all new parts you can price shop and you can find cheaper parts

You would still be taking a risk with buying a used axle and possibly having problems with it.

I know a local shop here in Baton Rouge may have D35 with 3.73 Gears for sale. Searcher's 4wd is the shop but shipping would probably be expensive.

#23 ·
^^^agree.
Just went through this a few months ago.first guy sat on it and pissed around till I started bugging him after a few weeks. Threw out 1700 for a rebuild and 2300 or something for new. I called junk yards and for 3.07 dana 35 they all wanted 850+. I ended up driving 4 hours to Maryland and picked up a used one for 150. Local guy that specializes in axles put new bearings and gears in for 750, so everything's new inside and works fine. He only had it 2 days. Mine was grinding and then it was banging like someone was underneath throwing bricks up at it. Mechanic said it appears the fluid was low, the housing was
Bent inside.

#24 ·
Having some trouble finding a used Dana 35. Called around a few places, going to have to hit the phones again. If anyone knows of a place around Tampa FL I could call that would be fantastic.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I got more answers here in just a few hours than I got for the mechanic in a week.

#27 ·
It's confusing when you use the word "assembly" as that refers to the entire axle housing plus all internals. Is that price truly a new "assembly" or just what they are trying to charge to rebuild your current axle? Either way, I would hold out. You should be able to find a shop to rebuild yours for around $700-800 including parts and labor.

#28 ·
When I broke one of my Dana 35 shafts it took out the bearing and egg shaped the housing. At that point I needed a new housing, maybe something similar happened to his housing and that's why he may need a whole assembly. Took me about 7 years to sell the new Dana 35 that they replaced under warranty, but I did get $100 for it. OP, keep looking, maybe find some nearby 4x4 forums you could post on the wanted section. Should not cost that much if you can wait to find one.

#29 ·
for that kinda price buy a dana 44, and it wont break like that.
the dana 35 u have is common to all kinds of spectacular breakage.
the dana 44 was a factory option for wranglers.
you need to make absolutely sure it is 3.73 ratio!
find all the local florida 4x4 clubs and message boards.
i bet someone has one. or a local will rebuild yours for alot less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.