Jeep milage lifespan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep milage lifespan?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Jerry-rigged

Jeep milage lifespan?

Howdy-

Another noobie question -

How many miles makes a "high mileage" jeep? I know that it largely depends on how well the jeep was cared for, but on average, when do they start having issues? At 100k? 150K? 200k?

Regarding the 4.0l I6 - What kind of life does this motor have? Burns oil at 100k, throws a rod at 150, or runs like a top till 200?

Reason I am asking, I am looking for a "Cheap Jeep" (TJ), and most of those are high mileage - 100k-150k on a 4-6 year old truck. If it was a Honda or Toyota, I wouldn't worry, Chevy, you couldn't give it to me at 150, but a Jeep? I got no clue...

Help?

Jerry

Do two guys that don't know what they are talking about know more or less than one guy that doesen't know what he is talking about?
Jerry-rigged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
92blazn
2010 JK Wrangler 

take care of it, last long as hell. 4.0L is bullet proff.

ask for Maint's records..... I keep a folder on all my cars, makes the buyer feel better about buying it
I'm not actually going for the wheeling, I just want to watch Ed drive his Jeep. :o
92blazn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Most people report no extremely major problems ever. 200k miles seems to be about the average good running life of the 4.0 but thats not to say it cant go longer. Rear main seals are probably about the biggest problem you will ever face if you take good care of it.
jeeptillidie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine had a chevy s-10 pickup with over 500,000 highway miles with no major repairs.I think it's all up to how you use/abuse a vehicle.As for Jeeps,my 95' 2.5 was bulletproof and ten feet tall.Oops thats a bad country song I knew I should have stayed in CT.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
brrempel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

123,000 on mine and the only work I've had to do on it was replacing the radiator last year. I also replace the water pump and t-stat at the same time, but neither one was bad, I just figured I might as well do it as long as I was in the neighborhood. My rear main seal leaks enough that I'll probably replace it this fall or next spring. This isn't counting oil, filters, plugs, belts, u-joints, some diff bearings etc.....

Oh, I had a fuse go bad once also...........

All told, it's been the most problem free vehicle I've ever owned and I beat the crap out of it on a regular basis.
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.0L engine can run a very long time with proper maintainence. My TJ only has about 52k, but my XJ has 182k and still running strong. My friend's XJ is well over 200k and still doing well as well. It's not uncommon to see them going over 200k pretty regularly.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
Justin Brimm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My Wrangler has 120k and literally runs like it is brand spanking new. My father's Comanche Eliminator is just shy of 300k and still eats Mustangs; it officially has the same hp rating as the Wrangler, but Chrysler stuck a custom cam, high compression along with other things from the factory into those Eliminators. Unfortunately it makes them near impossible to rebuild back to original condition.

Add: Both 4.0L by the way
Justin Brimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
yamar18
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ only has 67k and radiator has been the only thing not routine. My family has had 4 Grand Cherokees and all have gone over 150k without any problems. One needed a tranny rebuilt at 180k but is fine now at 220k. All had the 4.0. I think the 4.0 is up there with any honda/toyota motor.
yamar18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If I was buying a used TJ, I would check to see if it has been wheeled a lot. Look at the underside. One place I would not buy a used Jeep is where my parents live, around Ouray, CO. I came back from a visit last summer with some issues (leaky radiator and TC).

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.