Jeep makes rattling noise.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep makes rattling noise....

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-21-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
bam9382

Jeep makes rattling noise....

I just got a jeep and i noticed that it makes a rattling noise after its been running for a few mins..... the noise only happens when the clutch is disengaged... When i push the clutch in the noise goes away..... The dealership told me this is normal?? But when i take a long trip - 70 miles.... The noise is pretty loud.... when i get where i am going and have stopped....

- Anyone know what this is... and is it suppose to get loud the longer you drive the jeep..... any way to make this go away?

bam9382 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
mgering

I hate to say this, but it is normal - That can either relieve you or piss you off - it pissed me off at first - but after Chrysler rebuilt my whole tranny, it still did it - it is the slack in the gears - it will not hurt anything. Turn your radio up. - and tell DC to kiss your *** and tighten their tolerances up. No reason that noise should be there.
mgering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:20 PM   #3
bam9382

is it suppose to get louder... like pretty loud.. if you drive ur car for a long time????
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
mgering

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam9382
is it suppose to get louder... like pretty loud.. if you drive ur car for a long time????
Mine never got louder. When they replaced my transmission, they told me it had a bad countershaft, yet the noise is still there. If you took a poll on this board, about half would say they have the same noise. If it is extremely loud, by all means have it checked out. - if it sounds like a loose marble, but not real loud, probably the same noise a lot of us have. - There was a bulletin from DC about this, but I think it was 2000 and older models. What year do you have?
mgering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
bam9382

i have a 2002 does anyone with a 2002 or higher have this noise.... and it only gets louder than normal after a long road trip?? anyone experienced that?
Unread 09-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
battallion14
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2000 (I know you asked for 2002+) that does the same thing. I took it back to the dealer after I got it and they said it was normal. And having browsed many a Jeep board it appears that is indeed the case. Sounds bad at first, but eventually you will begin to ignore it.
Unread 09-21-2004, 07:41 PM   #7
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

My 2001 does it. No better or worse than my '97 was. You'd think in that kind of timeframe they could have gotten it right?
This is one of my major Jeep pet peeves.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
bam9382

well does anyone have this problem with newer model jeeps.... 02 and up..

and Does anyone notice that it gets louder... after a long time of operation.. like a road trip???
Unread 09-21-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

My 04 does it. I took it in at 1500 miles and they claimed it was "normal"
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2004, 12:08 AM   #10
roughwater

I have an 04 that does it, I haven't really paid any attention as to whether it gets louder or not after long trips though. I'm just used to it since I had a 95 that did it as well. If it gets to annoying, I just engage the clutch every once in a while to shut it up.
roughwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2004, 06:11 AM   #11
Baas

Yip my 2004 Sport does the same thing!! The idiots at Chrysler said it was because I used my vehicle off road and the thrust bearing is wet!!!
My remedy: Get a 4" lift with 33's that will sort out that problem LOL!
Baas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
Tjpro1990
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 06 is doing the samething. I don't know if I should get it looked at. Did you ever get it looked at and if so what did they say?
Tjpro1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 04:10 AM   #13
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up changing what gear oil I use, and it got a little quieter. I can't remember what I put in, I think it is Pennzoil Syncromesh(?)
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
Inspect-A-Home
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rattling Noise under jeep

I just bought a jeep wrangler '08 a week ago. it had 37,000 miles on it. It started makin a rattling noise after a week or so, only when gas is applied or on idle. Fortunately I have found where it was coming from. If you look under the jeep, on the exhaust muffler pipe below the tranny, there is a heat shield welded onto the exhaust pipe. with time this heat shield will expand and contract, the spot welds will eventually break! So what I did was just re-weld them and that awful sound was no more...if that doesn't solve the problem you may have to try looking for other areas with spot welds, joints, bushings, etc...hope this helps!
Inspect-A-Home is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
CASnyder1815
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i was told that it was the cat. converter that was making the rattling. maybe loose, just wore out. i had a 95 yj 4lit. 6cyl. h.o. all stock and i took it to JEEPSTERS in soddy daisy tn and the mech. was replacin my breaks and i ask him what it was and he said it was the converter and hit it with his hand and it made the vibration/rattling.... Problem solved
CASnyder1815 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.