jeep just stopped running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep just stopped running

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
chobeegators
1997 TJ Wrangler 

jeep just stopped running

Ok here's what's going on. First I have a 97 wrangler and it's stock. I was driving the other day and I noticed I had lost power so once I finally stopped I couldn't restart it. So I did the key trick and got error #43. I saw what it said but don't really understand what it means. It sounds like it wants to start but won't sort of like it's not getting fuel. With that said I bought a new fuel pump and it still won't start. A friend of mine put a screw driver into one of the spark plug wires and he said he didn't get shocked. He said he thought it was the coil so I got one and still won't start. Could it be the ignition switch? Any help would be great.

Unread 05-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

First determine if its getting fuel and spark.

To check for fuel, press the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Its under a plastic cap that looks like a tire valve stem cap. Press that valve in and see if you get a squirt of fuel.

To check for spark, put a screwdriver in a plug wire and then ground out the screwdriver by laying it on something metal. Then crank the motor and watch for a spark between the screwdriver and your ground.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
jeepraider
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i had a problem like that. there's a plastic plate in the distributer and the metal pick up in it had broken off. i have a 98
jeepraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
jpatc1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the Crankshaft position sensor. I had a similar problem and that was the cause.
98 Sahara, RE 4.5 SF, Super 35 with OX locker, D30 w/ OX locker and USA Alloy shafts, 33" BFG Mud Terrains, Warn Powerplant, Warn bumpers front and rear, Warn steeringbox and gas tank skids, Skid Row engine skid, Toys-by-Troy sport bar. More to come.
jpatc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
chobeegators
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
First determine if its getting fuel and spark.

To check for fuel, press the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Its under a plastic cap that looks like a tire valve stem cap. Press that valve in and see if you get a squirt of fuel.

To check for spark, put a screwdriver in a plug wire and then ground out the screwdriver by laying it on something metal. Then crank the motor and watch for a spark between the screwdriver and your ground.
I'm getting fuel but haven't had any way to check for spark because I need someone else to turn over the key.
Unread 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cam or crank sensor should throw code 11. Op is getting 43. From FAQ...

43 Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time. Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)

I'd have been suspecting the coil initially but as that's been changed already here's a BTT.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
Cam or crank sensor should throw code 11...
Very rarely does a bad crank sensor throw a code.

If you can't start the Jeep, the computer will not start the OBD process.
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

take off the distributor cap and check the rotor and the cap... if it is worn replace...... if it is not take your plug wires down to a local auto store and have them tested.... could be a bad wire between the coil and the distributor.....

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM
asjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobeegators View Post
I'm getting fuel but haven't had any way to check for spark because I need someone else to turn over the key.
This is where a remote push button starter come into play.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
chobeegators
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some people I've talked to said it could be the brain. Is this really what I need to be looking at? I start my vacation today and don't want to just work on the jeep all week. I only get one week off so there is lots to do.
Unread 05-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, check for spark before you go any further.

If you have no spark, I would test the cam position sensor. It should show 5 volts when cranking.

If the cam sensor sensor checks out okay, I would next replace the crank position sensor.
Unread 05-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
If you can't start the Jeep, the computer will not start the OBD process.
OK, but what if you were driving and the engine cut out due the computer not seeing the cam or crank reference signals?...

From the OP...
Quote:
I was driving the other day and I noticed I had lost power...
The cam sensor should have a pulsed 5V on the tan/yellow wire when the engine is cranked.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
chobeegators
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok here's what's going on now. I took off the distributer cap and everything looks good in there. I did the spark test and I have none. I touched the back of the coil with the wire off and it felt like a electric fence so I thought it was the wire between distributer cap and coil, but no because I took my wifes off of her jeep also a 97 and nothing on mine and believe me she has plenty of spark with hers. I also switched the crankshaft position sensor between the two jeeps and hers still starts. So from here I don't really know what to look at next.
Unread 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

try switching the caps between the jeeps... see if that works.
that's nice to have a donor to test parts out on
majkowskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your not getting spark from coil wire to plug wires then is can only be two things....cap or rotor.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.