Jeep just shuts off while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep just shuts off while driving

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
WrangUnLim04

Jeep just shuts off while driving

Own a 2004 Jeep Wrangler unlimited with 61,000 miles. This past weekend while driving went to pull into a parking lot. The jeep just shut off like someone flipped a light switch. Turned the key and it started right back up. On way home while driving down the interstate same thing. Drifted off to the berm and eventually got it to turn over. Stopped at a store near my house and when I came out it wouldn't turn over at all. Had it towed to garage. Mechanic said battery is dead and he isn't sure what is causing it. Battery is a red top that was installed brand new in October. Can anyone tell me what may be causing the drain on the battery and or causing my jeep to just turn off? Thank you.

WrangUnLim04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Steelsopr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Had similar problem in the past, I had a short somewhere in the system that drains the battery. It is really hard to locate. You need ot measure how much current leakage you have when the car is turned off. Then system after system just scan what drains the battery. I just removed the fuses one by one in the evning and checked inthe morning if the batery was dead or not. In my case it was an aftermarket radio that previous owner installed crooked.
Steelsopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Extreme cold wreaks havoc on batteries & charging systems.

I recommend having the alternator & battery tested (if the mechanic hasn't done that already.)

IMHO- from the sound of things, your alternator is not working properly.

I have also read that the quality of red top batteries isn't what it once was.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88
IMHO- from the sound of things, your alternator is not working properly.
I agree.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Brimstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I also recommend having the alternator checked. If your battery drained while the vehicle was running then it's likely the alternator is not doing its job.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The jeep just shut off like someone flipped a light switch. Turned the key and it started right back up.
This sounds more like a bad connection or malfunctioning CPS then an alternator issue. If the alternator wasn't working properly and wasn't charging the battery you would have a gradual decline (over a period of 30 seconds or more) where the jeep behaved oddly then eventually died. In your case it died and the immediately started back up. It would not have started back up if the battery was drained enough to shutdown to begin with.

CPS could cause the engine to shut off, but I believe you would still have power. Are you losing power absolutely everywhere? No lights, dash lights or otherwise, no radio or buzz or odometer, nothing?

Start with simple connections. Clean battery terminals, connection to starter and alternator, and grounds. Once these are good if you still experience issues I'd lean towards CPS.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
TAS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

"on then off like a light switch" sounds like a crank position sensor. Do not rule out your ignition switch in your steering column. If battery is just slammed, sounds like your alt. is not producing the power needed to run the computer.

Tow rig - 12 F-350 4x4
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
WrangUnLim04

CPS could cause the engine to shut off, but I believe you would still have power. Are you losing power absolutely everywhere? No lights, dash lights or otherwise, no radio or buzz or odometer, nothing?

During the incident in which the jeep just shut off going down the interstate the instrument gauges all starting flipping back and forth back and forth like in the guys truck in the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

What exactly is a CPS?

Replaced the crankshaft sensor yesterday. Made it 4 miles down the road and it just shut off again.

Im extremely frustrated at this point!
WrangUnLim04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What exactly is a CPS?
You replaced it. Crankshaft Position Sensor.

With the flipping of the gauges it sounds like a bad ground somewhere. I would remove, sand, clean, and reinstall all grounds you can get your hands on. Be sure to include the grounds around the PCM and the power box under the hood (where the relay's and fuses are).
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
trickydick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The fellow that tested your battery said it was bad did you replace it? I see now that he just said it was dead but that red top could have a bad connection in it. If you have another vehicle you could swap batteries and see if the problem follows the battery .
trickydick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Careful with the abbreviations, it can create confusion.

CPS can be either crank or cam position sensor depending on who is using the abbreviation.

CKP is the actual abbreviation for crank position sensor that is used in the factory service manual.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
TAS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If it shuts off again, wiggle the ignition key and see if you get any activity. Mine did that before and it was in the ignition. I could wiggle the key and it would reignite. Or, just turn on the key, wiggle it, and see if gauges etc... start to blunce around.

Tow rig - 12 F-350 4x4
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I also recommend having the alternator checked. If your battery drained while the vehicle was running then it's likely the alternator is not doing its job.
A TJ's alternator will be dead if the battery is dead like Optima batteries have become notorious for. The TJ's alternator requires a good solid 12v from the battery to work. Not all alternators require 12v to work but modern Jeep alternators do.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.