Jeep hit. Damaged Tailgate or Just hinges? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep hit. Damaged Tailgate or Just hinges?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep hit. Damaged Tailgate or Just hinges?

My son had a "friend" bump his spare tire tonight. Tailgate will barely open now and creaks like a door with hinges about to break.

Before tonight tailgate would open without creaking and without near as much force as it takes now.

I'm thinking at least hinges, what are the chances the tailgate itself might be damaged? We don't have time to deal with it right now, will be going to bodyshop tomorrow for estimate. Bodyman is a friend that knows some about Jeeps. Would appreciate any help we could give him in what to look for.

14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bent sheetmetal on tailgate & tub. Also the hinges themselves.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did some more checking today. It looks like the top hinge is sprung. Bodyshop friend does not think the tub or tailgate is tweaked.

I think we are going to replace the hinges ourself. Looked at Kentrol and Rugged Ridge. Both are black powder coated stainless. Does anyone have experience with either of these or can you suggest a better solution?

Will probably go back with black either painted or coated hinges.

Thanks.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tailgate , bent , hinges , accident , impact , damage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.