The Jeep!!! He Is Dead! D. E. D. Dead! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Jeep!!! He Is Dead! D. E. D. Dead!

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 02-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
ixl4

The Jeep!!! He Is Dead! D. E. D. Dead!

So the Jeep would occasionally need a battery charge (even though its a new optima)... i figured it was the amp drawing power while the Jeep was off... but now!

I go to start it, its dead. I jump start it, and it seems to run fine. Then I drive it down the street, turn on the lights, and it dies, just plop. dies while its moving. No power whatsoever, none.

None of the dash lights even come on.

When I try to jump start it again, it wont... its as if though the other car isnt providing enough power. The starter barely even turns, its very very lathargic.

I tried 2 vehicles, none could jump my Jeep.

I charged the battery with a battery charger for 3 hours and still none of the dash lights even come on when I turn the key.

Its almost as if though the connections are bad, but I checked, and theyre fine.

Why would it not start when jumping though?

HELP ME!

Thanks.

2000 Sport Manual.
Mods: RE 3.5 / JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML / Rough Country Adjustable Trackbar / Dunlop Rover 33s Cragar 397 Soft Wheels / Winch / Nates4x4 Front Bumper & Rear w/ Tire Carrier / RE .75" Spacers / P.O.R.C. SYE / RE CV DS / Nth Degree Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms / SkyJacker Front and Rear Lower Arms
ixl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
the_ronster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

check your grounds
RE 3.5 Super Flex, Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks and Steering Stabalizer, RE Hack & Tap SYE, AA CV Drive Shaft, ARB Compressor, ARB Front and Rear Lockers, 35x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, Custom Fabbed Bumpers, ORFAB rear tire carrier/ gascan holder, Superior 4.88s, and Heated Seats

the_ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
bdhaley

I once witnessed the exact problem you were having and a new battery resolved the problem.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]1998 TJ, 4 banger, 5 speed, Rusty's 2" lift, 31" BFG At KO's, AR 15x8 [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/harley72/MY%20TJ/TJafter.jpg"][COLOR="DarkRed"]My TJ[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[SIZE="4"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="blue"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/harley72/Liberty/Liberty.jpg"][COLOR="blue"]HER KJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2003 KJ Sport 4x4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]
bdhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As mentioned, check all your grounds and cable connections. You might have a loose one or a corroded one.

Seeing as it died when you were driving, I suspect the alternator also.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your battery has one or more bad cells. With a completely dead battery, jumping thru cables often won't give enough juice. Test the battery.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
ytodd

pull the battery and run up to a battery store, get it tested, or try swapping in another to see if it makes any difference....then go from there....
ytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i had a 6 month old optima that went bad...advanced auto tested it for me (it was under their warranty). sure enough the battery was bad, so they gave me a new one.
(unfortunately my warranty only covers 1yr from original purchase date, so if this one goes bad after june, I'm SOL)

edit* its a yellow top if that makes a difference
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds a lot like a bad battery to me! Optimas aren't immune to going bad either. as the poster above said.

I'd double check the grounds coming off the battery though. Check all of them.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

Check the Battery and the ALt. A lot of places will test them for free.
jm708 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.