Jeep hates the winter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep hates the winter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 12-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Schwalby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep hates the winter

I have noticed this over the years with my 5 speed 03 4 cyl that when the cold comes it does not run as well. In past years I have just blown this off because I usually park it for most of the winter. This winter though I have had to use it more and it really sucks. I have found two issues.

1. Shifting into first from a stop can be almost impossible. I usually need to shift into second and then back to first; even then it takes a lot of pressure to get it in. Once the engine has been running for about 20 mins though it does appear to shift better, going between any other gears however is no problem regardless of how long the engine has been running.

2. Not sure if this is related to above or the cold but for some reason my 4wd light will not come on. I am certain it is in 4wd because if I am on packed snow and the rear spins once I pull the lever up to 4HI I am able to move with no spinning. There is also the slight whine from the front shaft. It appears to also come out of 4wd with out any issues as well there has been a few times it does not come right out and after a couple hundred feet I get a little thump and it disengages.

I have a feeling once warmer weather comes I will have no issue again with shifting and maybe the light will start to work again. I just hope the is no large underlying issue here. The Jeep only has about 50,000 miles on it and most of that came in the last year.
Thanks in advance.

[url]www.jeeprally.org[/url] Great American Jeep Rally
Schwalby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

1. Worn synchros (IMO),a good synthetic gear oil might help somewhat(Redline MT-90/Royal purple synchromax).
2. Probably just the 4WD dash light burned out.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
truckin88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

switch on top of the transfer case, do a search it is a cheap part there was a post recently about it, same issue with the 4WD light

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #442
truckin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

shwalby i feel the same way man... jeep runs awesome in the summer then winter comes and all i wanna do is sell it... rough shift into first.... no heat... bumpier ride....( my light comes on he he) But seriously you know how much it sux to drive something that doesn't defrost... it sux alot!!!
- I should probably look into a good synthetic gear oil...
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have 46k on mine and the 5spd tranny is horrible. Shifting into 1st and from 1st into 2nd either takes a lot of pressure or you can feel the gears bumping when it goes in. Once warmed up it gets better. However I expect more from a 04 transmission.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Beefstew]shwalby i feel the same way man... jeep runs awesome in the summer then winter comes and all i wanna do is sell it...QUOTE]

Yeah, when I lived in the Northeast it was the same. Its fun to take the top and doors off in the summer and have this free flowing feeling. But when its winter, and all you want to do is be warm and comfortable. I would tend to lean toward taking my mom's explorer. Nice, cozy, automatic.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
osudelt69
1997 TJ Wrangler 

x2!!!!!!!!!! Have the same issues with 158k miles. Changed manual box to synthetic fluids two weeks ago. Helped a little bit but still can take some pressure to get it into gear. Goes away soon as it warms up.
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My doesnt like to start when it is cold and definately doesnt shift well until it warms up. i figure i could change out the fluids for synthetic but i drive it like once a week in the winter just to keep the rig from sitting and thats about it.

I definately have the same issues however
MillerTimeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
brooksjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

for an answer to number 1- in the jeep owners manual, it has a bit of a disclaimer or warning of this. It says that in the winter atleast until your jeep warms up that it will run sluggish, that 1st and 2nd gears will do what yours and mine (mine does it too lol) do. So all u can do is start the jeep early to let the engine get warm, engine block warmer, move south, or deal with it lol
brooksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Mine does it too, although I don't think its that bad...it makes sense that it shifts worse in the cold (fluid temp), I generally try to keep my shifts minimal until everything gets warm.
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #11
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Duplicate Post

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.