Jeep Gurus Help with starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Gurus Help with starting issue

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
GenoSport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Gurus Help with starting issue

Ok here is the deal, The jeep has been getting harder and harder to start. And now sometimes it wont start at all.

Battery replaced 6 months ago, it was bad. I also checked the charging system at Napa when I replaced the battery it checked out good.

1) Jeep Cranks over very slow like the battery is going dead, I checked the battery and it checks out fine put it on the deep cycle charger over night lights and everything are extreamly bright, crank the jeep and it turns over real slow. Just to make sure that the batt, was not the problem I hooked it up to my company pickup with jumper calbes , It still cranked over very slow.

2) later that day it would not turn over at all like the battery was dead, All lights and everything worked fine. So I started looking at the starter. I removed the starter and took it to NAPA they tested it and said it checked out fine. I was so sure that it was the starter that I made them test it twice.
still tested ok. Took the starter back to the house put it back in the jeep and tried to start it still would not turn over, nothing !! Got pissed and tapped the starter with a hammer 5 or six times and the jeep started up fine. Now 1 to 2 days later the starting issue is coming back it is acting like the battery is going dead. Put it on the deep cycle charger and it says the battery is fully charged.??

Could the starter cause this issue?
Does the jeep have some sort of Voltage regulator that could not be sending the right amount of juice to the starter.

Where would you turn at this point? I dont want to spend $150 bucks on the starter. If that is not the issue.

HELP!!

Unread 12-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
GenoSport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah I also swapped the start relay with the horn relay and back I am sure its not the relay you can here the relay click. But the starter does not turn>
Unread 12-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
blac betty

replace the starter. u tapped on it and then it worked.
blac betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
GenoSport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

But the starter tested fine twice
Unread 12-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
CentralAuto

Check your connections...If all is good, replace the starter...

The guys testing it may be wrong..
CentralAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
JeepMKcomin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's the starter.... there are many times when they will test fine in a store when taken out of the vehicle... think about this, the starter doesn't have to provide any torque when it's out of the vehicle to turn over the engine.
JeepMKcomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check your battery/ starter cables and connections and make sure they're clean. I once saw a smiliar condition, but it was caused by battery acid seeping down through the cables and corroding the copper inside. You might also want to check your ground cables/ straps.
Unread 12-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
starscream
1981 CJ5 

I just had the same exact problem, and it was indeed the starter.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.