Jeep floor pan help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep floor pan help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
AndrewClark
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep floor pan help

The floor pans on my TJ have some holes that need patched but when I look through them, I can see a second layer of rusty metal about 2 inches below the floor pans on both driver side and passenger side. What is this second layer underneath? Is there a way that I can repair both the floor pan and whatever layer is under it? It doesn't make much sense to bedline the floor pans if water can just get it from the bottom. Any help is appreciated!

AndrewClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is where the body mounts bolt into and is open at both ends. Best thing you can do every once in a while is stick a pressure washer in there and blow any dirt or mud out. From a perspective of the road salt on your boots when getting in the jeep bedline the floor and cleanup any surface rust in the channel. I ended up putting a buttload of POR15 in there.
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
AndrewClark
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
That is where the body mounts bolt into and is open at both ends. Best thing you can do every once in a while is stick a pressure washer in there and blow any dirt or mud out. From a perspective of the road salt on your boots when getting in the jeep bedline the floor and cleanup any surface rust in the channel. I ended up putting a buttload of POR15 in there.
Thanks! I'll give that a shot
AndrewClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If it is that bad, you may want to look at seeing if your bodymounts are bad as well. If you can look down the channel you might be able to spray a penetrant down. If you are looking at doing a body lift, take this opportunity as you might be able to loosen them up ahead of time and put some antiseize on them. Just be aware if they are really bad ( I did mine about 4-5 years ago and remember reading 98s at that time breaking and spinning bolts) you may bite off more than you can chew.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.