jeep flooded with water--what to look for?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep flooded with water--what to look for??

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 07-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
restorod
2014 JK Wrangler 

jeep flooded with water--what to look for??

well, my jeep was parked at work yesterday,and we had a surprise "monsoon" set in with hard blowing downpours for over an hour..of course i didnt have a top on and when i went out to get in it the wiper motor and stereo system were shorted out i guess,because they were both on..no keys even in the ignition..it started fine and i was sloshin water everytime i pushed the clutch pedal...i managed to get some out turnin hard left at speed and sloshin out the passenger side door...when i got home and shut the key off,my wipers were creeping across the windshield and my radio lights were on,but not playing any sound..i unhooked the battery and i bailed nearly -2- 5 gallon buckets of water out and finally sopped it with rags,and pulled the carpets back where i could and put the fans to it overnite...this mornin,it is dried up pretty well and electrics seem to be workin as normal,and i am leving it out in the 97 degree sun for a day or two with the top off,but is there any thing in particular that you all seem to think i should pay special attention to after it being so wet on the inside...water did not get in the glove box and the fuse panel seemed ok..it got as high as the bottom of the doors though before it ran out...you all think i have done what i can,or is there something else i should look at??

restorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
RVA_TJ06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You are aware of the drain plugs?
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorod View Post
is there something else i should look at??
A Rain Gear cab cover.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
restorod
2014 JK Wrangler 

ha! yeah!! i know there are plugs..i just didnt mess with em...we were jokin around at work about bailing the water out like a john boat,and i just used a square tupperware bowl and a bucket,more as joke that anything...we had a bet about how many bails it would take...i lost count at about 50!! ha!!
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
restorod
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
A Rain Gear cab cover.
hardy..har...har....
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
cajunfireman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
A Rain Gear cab cover.
That's what I was thinking.

[COLOR="Red"][B]Firefighter Jeep Club Member #337[/B][/COLOR]

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." -John 15:13

Fight Crime....Shoot Back

[B]I'll keep my money, my guns, and my freedom. You can stick the change up your ***.[/B]
cajunfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Ghaniba
1998 ZJ 

On the rare occasion that I've been caught in a rainstorm, I threw a towel, sweatshirt, etc over the steering column and mine's been fine. When I wasn't around, or unaware of it happening, both the signal stalk and hazards returned to operation once they dried out, which only took a day or so.

I would recommend pulling the plugs. It would have taken far less time than to bail the water out with whatever container. They're rubber, it's really quite easy! During the summer, I just leave mine out.

As for other things to look for, not really. It's a good thing it's a jeep, huh?

Dave aka Ghan
Ghaniba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
restorod
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaniba View Post
On the rare occasion that I've been caught in a rainstorm, I threw a towel, sweatshirt, etc over the steering column and mine's been fine. When I wasn't around, or unaware of it happening, both the signal stalk and hazards returned to operation once they dried out, which only took a day or so.

I would recommend pulling the plugs. It would have taken far less time than to bail the water out with whatever container. They're rubber, it's really quite easy! During the summer, I just leave mine out.

As for other things to look for, not really. It's a good thing it's a jeep, huh?

Dave aka Ghan
ya got that right!! i pulled my plugs before i put the carpet back down this morning..

Tags
tj , wrangler , rain , top off , top down , electric , electrical , malfunction , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.