Jeep is flooded?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep is flooded?!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
jeep_chinto

Jeep is flooded?!

its been raining in nj for a few days now its been dry for the first 2 i went out last night to go for a ride n get some food i get back in from mcdonalds and look down and in the passanger floor theres like an inch of standing water.

this morning i start rippn the carpets out and pulln the floor plugs out and vacuming the water out tryn to see if i can find any place it came in from cant find any thing so i go to the back of the jeep find more water behind the front seats. then for kicks n giggles i go back behind the seat wher ei keep sweatshirts and they were soaked!

i got a 2001 jeep wranger sahara hard top

when i got to dryn the back door off there was a place that looked like it could have maby been dripping from where the rear window and gate meet up in the center but how its designed the water would have gone up hill?

any one have any insite on how to narrow down where probably 5+ gallons of water came from and how to prevent it from happening again

thanks

Dan.

i tryed to search but i couldnt find any thing

any ideals would be helpfull thanks

jeep_chinto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
bigkahuna03842

I had a water leaking problem, not nearly as bad as what your sounds like, but spraying my TJ with a hose showed me there was water coming in around the door. Maybe this will help you the same way?
Unread 10-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
jeep_chinto

back window molding?

well on the back window theres a molding on the bottem edg that has a small gap between two peices of plastick im hopen it just driped in from there for long enough to fill my jeep up over night and it was sittn behind the back seats with out me knowin it for a whyll

im going to use some filler to seal the crack and let every thing dry off and see how it goes..
Unread 10-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
roofadoofalus

spraying it with a hose seems to be a pretty good idea
roofadoofalus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
jeep_chinto

tryed that took the carpets out went to the car wash cuz its easier and sprayed over every thing just letting it run over every thing and blasting every direction

had every thing pritty dry to start with and once i was done 5+ min l8r every thing was pritty much still dry so i got no clue

im hopen it was just the gap in the back glass molding that i just sealed up and with the long extended rain it leaked in over the 2 days its beenraining and didnt come foward till the jeep moved and was parked on a differnt angle and was brought to my attn.

lets hope thats it ..
Unread 10-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #6
General Lee

Its probably your ac drain tube that runs out from the fire wall. Its about a 3/4 inch diameter rubber hose that sticks out about an inch or so (at least thats what mine is like on my 05) If that gets blocked water will run back into the floor board.

There is a couple threads on this do a search on "water on passenger floor" or something similar. Someone even posted some pics.

31x10.5 BFG MT KM2
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
CWaldrop

Maybe you left the window cracked

I'd keep the drain plugs out until I figured out what it was. You'd think it would be easy to reproduce with that much water.
CWaldrop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 07:17 AM   #8
CWaldrop

Yes your AC drain tube can get clogged with leaves and such. Could leave alot of water on the floor. My Grand Cherokee had the same problem and it filled the front passenger and back seat footwells before I noticed it. Good luck
CWaldrop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #9
jeep_chinto

this could explain where the water in the passanger floor came from and ill check that out

but that doesnt explain how my stuff behind the back seat of my jeep got soaked
Unread 10-10-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
xe1xzq

I had exacty the same problem as you (full doors).... what I did is stayed in the Jeep while raining to see where the water came from and I saw the problem, the water get into the Jeep through the rubber seal at the level of tha seat belt assembly, it's a little unbelievable because it does not let any mark or spot to identify the water.

I took some pictures of the leak.
http://www.ajeepear.com/foros/upload...1128792156.jpg

The solution in my case was an adhesive foam (3M) next to the rubber seal, from now on I do not have the leaks, the door closes normal and does not look bad because it's only on the bottom of the door
http://www.ajeepear.com/foros/upload...1128792258.jpg
[size=1][color=blue]4.0L, 6 speed, NP231J, Danas 30/35 open, Magellan GPS, Yaesu FT-8800R para 2m/70cm, Optima Yellow, Warn oil pan skid plate, Goodyear MTRs LT245/75R16, MOAB wheels, 3.07 axle (soon 4.11) Winch Tmax EW10000[/size][/color][size=1][color=purple][b]
Autlan Four Wheel Club Jeep
Autlan de Navarro, Jalisco[/size][/color][/b]

[color=red][size=1][color=red][b][url=http://www.ajeepear.com/foros/index.php?act=SF&f=74]C.M.A.T.T.[/url][/b][/size][/color][/color]
xe1xzq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #11
buellwinkle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can do what my buddy did when his Wrangler leaked in heavy rain, he got a lawyer, lemoned the car and got a refund. I know you can't do this on a 2001 but think of what Jeep did, they took that leaky lemon, sold it at auction to a Jeep dealer for $18K (I know, I stopped bidding at $16K, heck, doesn't rain much here anyway) who will probably turn around and sell it to some sucker for $22K. So do what the big boys do, sell it, try your hand at another.
buellwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2005, 12:43 PM   #12
jeep_chinto

found it leakn from a few spots think i finaly got it next rain will tell for sure

back window molding in the center

passanger and driver side bout mid way the rubber seal was self destructing i guess

back gate also

got every thing weather striped and sealed

waiting for next rain becaus it pass's the hose test

thx for the help and suggestions.
Unread 10-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #13
U.S.MarineLJ

Had something similar happen to my Jeep, only it was a lot less severe then what you experienced. I was putting in my new Husky floor mats in and removing the stockers when I noticed condensation on the bottom of the stock floor mats. I thought what the hell? My Jeep was brand new, not even two weeks old at that point. Upon further investigation I found that the carpet was soaked, only at the front passenger side. Then I saw the culprit, my son (11) or as I like to call him the little dynamo had left the top of his window rolled down about a 1/4" the previous night and there was an intense rain storm that very night. I was so motivated! At least the seat didn't get drenched.

[URL=http://www.jeepreviews.com]JeepReviews.com[/URL]

Awesome site with writeups. [url]http://www.4x4xplor.com/tj.html[/url]

Another awesome site for writeups.

[url]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
U.S.MarineLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #14
jeep_chinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.MarineLJ
Had something similar happen to my Jeep, only it was a lot less severe then what you experienced. I was putting in my new Husky floor mats in and removing the stockers when I noticed condensation on the bottom of the stock floor mats. I thought what the hell? My Jeep was brand new, not even two weeks old at that point. Upon further investigation I found that the carpet was soaked, only at the front passenger side. Then I saw the culprit, my son (11) or as I like to call him the little dynamo had left the top of his window rolled down about a 1/4" the previous night and there was an intense rain storm that very night. I was so motivated! At least the seat didn't get drenched.

hehe no i wasnt that lucky to have left my window down or my top off

wish it coulda been that easy.
Unread 10-24-2005, 10:33 PM   #15
Honda Rider

I live NJ and had the same problem 2 weeks ago with all the rain. So with Fred(Noreaster) and Wilma(hurricane) heading this way, I better check into it. I took the hose to it and then went inside and noticed water dripping from the HVAC unit right onto the right side floor board. I also noticed that if I park up hill it was way worse. I figured my cowl drain was clogged so I took the cowl off. Not a big deal, just pop the wiper arms off, 7 phillips head screws and a weatherstrip. Well, I find a big cowl drain right in the middle and sprayed some water in there and it did not seem clogged. So with the right side letting in the water, I started to inspect. I took off the fresh air intake. I look down inside there and there is a pool of water on top of the HVAC assembly. I took a closer look at the fresh air intake and one of the screw's threads were stripped out and the intake was loose. The intake does have a gasket so I put a bigger self-tapping screw in and made it real tight. I put it back together and took the hose to it. No more water dripping from the HVAC assembly but I did find a small leak from up inside the dash, running down the firewall and onto the right floorboard. I ran out of daylight so I pulled the carpet back and pulled the drain plug out. I parked it down hill and we will see how much water I get over the next two days. I did not even address the back area yet. The front has me a little worried because I can't see where the water is coming in from behind the dash. All I see is a drip rolling down the firewall and onto the floorboard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.