Jeep duster/tonneau and cj tailgate conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep duster/tonneau and cj tailgate conversion

99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights

Unread 02-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep duster/tonneau and cj tailgate conversion

Ive installed a CJ tailgate on my LJ and was wondering if its possible to use a duster/tonneau cover. Ive never seen one otherwise I wouldnt have asked. Im just curious about how the tailgate bar functions. Has anyone overcome this problem?

Unread 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That looks great! I have that project pegged for later this summer.

BTW, the new S.C. license plate looks good. I have a S.C. state flag sticker on the back window of my truck and everyone asks what it is. I've only seen one other here in San Diego and it was a Marine recruiters truck parked near my local Starbucks.
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see why the tailgate bar wouldn't work. It clips into the black brackets on the end of each corner near the tailgate. You might have a little clearance issue in the middle, but I'm sure with a little creativity you can make it work. Be sure to post up later.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

yea the issue im thinking of is how I will latch the tailgate closed with the duster cover. Im not sure how it works. I think you find that its only in SC that people are proud of the state tree!!
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
VecoPlan
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oh I've been here. Initially I did EXACLY what you did but I've modified it sense then so that I have external latches... I got AWFUL tired of reaching in to get the latches... but once I got the hard top it was a must. I'll take some pics and show you what I did. I get a really tight seal and it holds my duster down very well in the summer. go to my website http://gallery.me.com/matbrooke and look at the Jeep. there's pics on my tailgate mods on there.
I Peter 3:15 ... are you ready? meverhart@vecoplanllc.com
VecoPlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
jeffb_79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VecoPlan View Post
Oh I've been here. Initially I did EXACLY what you did but I've modified it sense then so that I have external latches... I got AWFUL tired of reaching in to get the latches... but once I got the hard top it was a must. I'll take some pics and show you what I did. I get a really tight seal and it holds my duster down very well in the summer. go to my website MobileMe Gallery and look at the Jeep. there's pics on my tailgate mods on there.
I like that idea.... My current tire carrier pushes the tailgate closed nice and tight, but I get tired of unzipping the rear window to reach in and release the latches.
jeffb_79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
VecoPlan
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb_79 View Post
I like that idea.... My current tire carrier pushes the tailgate closed nice and tight, but I get tired of unzipping the rear window to reach in and release the latches.
Yup... particularly in the winter... Like I said... I've been there... now I'm here... it's nice here
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Dude your Jeep is awesome!! I had those same wheels on my 60th anniversary Cherokee. Loved em!! Great idea!
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

how did you make your latches
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail78385 View Post
Those look like stock CJ latches. You can only open the gate by rolling up the window and twisting them up.
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
jeffb_79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
Those look like stock CJ latches. You can only open the gate by rolling up the window and twisting them up.
He removed the stock inside latches and put latches on the outside.... getting rid of the need to unzip the window to open the gate.
jeffb_79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry I can't help you out but that is freakin cool man...great work
Tonellin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yea the issue im thinking of is how I will latch the tailgate closed with the duster cover. Im not sure how it works. I think you find that its only in SC that people are proud of the state tree!!
When I call the Palm trees out here "Palmetto's" my friends look at me strange. The also don't understand there's only one real USC.

I grew up in San Diego and still call it home. However, I spent 16 years in Charleston and that's where my heart is. I'll be taking the money and running back to the Lowcountry as soon as I can.
Unread 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
VecoPlan
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dude your Jeep is awesome!! I had those same wheels on my 60th anniversary Cherokee. Loved em!! Great idea!
Thanks... Here is a current pic I took at lunch:

Pic after Line-x and flushed in LED "Euro" tail lights

Quote:
press brake, high tension stainless steel springs, 3/16 plate steel, 1/4 Hardened alloy rod, threading tool, tap and die, hard plastic "ball shaped" handle from Grainger, and about 2 hrs of my life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.