jeep does not restart - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep does not restart

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 03-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
sunbeacher

jeep does not restart

We have a 2000 jeep wrangler tj.
My daughter drives it for around fifteen minutes, the engine temperature gets to normal temp. when she goes to restart it.nothing until jeep sits for awhile.

I thought it was the fuel pump maybe bad gas ,so we put in sea foam and dry gas.Still would run fine but then can not restart. we took it to the shop yesterday and they could not find any issues.
She came home today from the store, and the jeep will not start, it just turns over and tries to fire.
We let it sit and it starts right up.
Any ideas?

sunbeacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

can you hear the fuel pump come on when you 1st try to crank it??
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just went through this. My jeep would start up, run but as soon as it hit 210, itd shut off. I replaced a bunch of sensors, including the "pick up coil" inside the distributor. But it turned out the one i replaced it with was a dud out of the box so it caused me many headaches. But long story short, check that sensor out. Cheap, takes about 5 minutes to replace.

My build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-college-build-1186424/
wrscpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Try tapping on the crank senser.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrscpc07 View Post
Just went through this. My jeep would start up, run but as soon as it hit 210, itd shut off. I replaced a bunch of sensors, including the "pick up coil" inside the distributor. But it turned out the one i replaced it with was a dud out of the box so it caused me many headaches. But long story short, check that sensor out. Cheap, takes about 5 minutes to replace.
Ya also check the crankshaft. Also easy to do

My build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-college-build-1186424/
wrscpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
bwiencek
2008 JK Wrangler 

You say "turns over and tries to fire" - does it backfire or catch for a second then stall or ??? Do you smell raw fuel out the tailpipe?

This should have been simple for a shop that has a diagnostic computer that can read a live data stream - call the shop and give them a heads up - have her run around and get the jeep good and hot and then go to the shop. Turn it off and then wait the appropriate time for the parts to heat soak and cause the no-restart condition - then the shop can plug in their diagnostic computer and watch the Crank and Cam positions, the Coolant Temp, TPS, MAP, and injector pulses would be a good start. If everything looks good then test the fuel pressure (doubt that's it since it restarts without fail when cold). Also it could be the ignition coil but usually that would happen in hotter summer weather when they get hot they can develop an open circuit in the windings - but there would usually be occasional rough running or a random stall too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.