Jeep dies. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep dies.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
psychoticj

Jeep dies.

This weekend I left my lights on and killed my battery. I jumped started it and it started fine but after it warms up the idle just falls off to 0 and its dead. If i keep my foot on the gas it runs fine now backfires no misses nothing runs as it did before. I can drive down the street fine gets up to speed good. Just when I come to a stop it will die if i dont keep it running. Anyone have an idea this kinda has me lost becuase
i thought if its a fuel filter pump or injector it wouldnt get into the higher rpm range. And ignition problem it wouldn't run good i.e. missing and what not. It seems to like the idle screw would be set wrong if it was a carburator. Is there a jumper i have to hit for the idle to resest maybe TPS is out. Any ideas would help do not want to sit outside in below 0 weather trying to figure this out. Thanks.

edit : it's a 2001 Sport I6 w/ 76000 miles.

psychoticj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have to re-jump start it after it dies? If your battery was completely dead, you'll need to put it on a charger for it to get back to full charge to do it's job.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
DR8
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your running off your alternator... Battery probably has a bad cell? A new battery is most likely the fix but if you can get your battery and charging system checked.
DR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Blinky
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you have an Auto zone in your area , have them check your battery and alternator (they will do it for free). My guess is that your battery is now probably bad (sulfated cells) it can not put out enough juice to keep the car running at low speed. At higher speed your alternator is putting out the power it needs to keep going, but at low speed it does not. Probably just a bad battery.
1968 Pontiac Firebird HO that needs lots of help
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
psychoticj

ok i figure it was something stupid i wasnt thinking about making conclusions to everything else. thanks ill have it checked today after work.
Unread 02-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Jackle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i've noticed when i kill my battery that when i do manage to get a jump i have to continue to "blip" the gas just to keep her up and running.....this is because the computer has been reset and is trying to learn where the air/fuel ratio needs to be and it is running on a default chart.......if you let it run (help it a little if you need to) for about 10-15 minutes it'll clear itself out......let us know how it turns out
Jackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
psychoticj

alright i had my battery checked and altinator just becuase. Both were good. Now it won't die so i learned the idle or whatever and now at a stop it idles at the first mark on the tach under 1000. will it continue to learn till its back were it should be or is it doing that because of the 0 and sub 0 temps? thanks for all the help.
Unread 02-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
SilverTJ998

This happened to me last weekend. After I jumped it I had to keep my foot on the gas. I took it around the block a few times after sitting there for 10min at 1500rpms and it was fine
SilverTJ998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.