Jeep died, and then lives again? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep died, and then lives again?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-27-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
BLAINE

Jeep died, and then lives again?

I was driving to the gym on the morning of December 24, and about 10 minutes into my trip, my 1998 Jeep starting making a slight sputtering or skipping noise. I listened and gave it some gas, but all that did was make it skip more. I drove it a bit more, but my Jeep slowly started to die. I was cruising at 45, then the maximum speed I could hold was 35, then 25,...I revved it up, but it just wouldn't rev. Sounded like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I replaced the fuel pump about 3 months ago (Carter) and the symptoms are similar, except for the fact that this time, my idle is EXTREMELY rough.

After it got down to about 15, I pulled over and shut it off. I started it up 2 hours later, and it was still the same rough idle. I tried to drive it home, but it went from 35, to 25...then it just slowly and completley died. It would NOT start again; I mean it did NOTHING, absolutely NO RESPONSE at all. The check engine light did NOT come on. The next day it actually started and the idle was a little better, but it is definately NOT normal. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Last edited by BLAINE; 12-27-2005 at 04:51 PM..
BLAINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
tjsooley

i am no expert but you should ask Jerry Bransford he knows all that stuff
()_) ()_)--o-)_) [/COLOR]
[url]http://www.myjeepspace.com/profile.php?id=653[/url]
tjsooley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
Mr. Joshua

try driving it again. And when the problem let the problem happen. Then check the gas tank. Remove the cap. Is there any pressure built up? Something similar happened to my maxima once. The tank wasnt venting properly. So a vacuum would build in the tank, making it increasingly difficult for the fuel pump to suck fuel until it would die. Opening the gas cap would release the vacuum pressure, and I would start it up fine again. I wound up replacing the filler neck and a regulator in the tank and everything was fine after that.
SkyJacker Hydro's
Olympic Grill Guard
Tuffy Glovebox
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #5
Parrothead Jeepers union member #11
Mr. Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
his15153

My 98 Wrangler does the same thing, except for the rough idle. In mine it only happens if i have less than a half tank of gas, and it will happen all the time, and then stop happening at all for a few months.
his15153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
BLAINE

Not many responses for this I see. Well, just in case this happens to anyone else, I found out what the problem was. It was indeed the upstream Oxygen sensor. The sensor was about $75 from Auto Zone. Replaced it myself in about 20 minutes. Just get under your Jeep and follow the exhaust pipe from the header. You will find it right under the driver's side floorpan. It is right in the exhaust pipe, just unscrew it and then unplug the connector from under the hood.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
BLAINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
servozn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAINE
Not many responses for this I see. Well, just in case this happens to anyone else, I found out what the problem was. It was indeed the upstream Oxygen sensor. The sensor was about $75 from Auto Zone. Replaced it myself in about 20 minutes. Just get under your Jeep and follow the exhaust pipe from the header. You will find it right under the driver's side floorpan. It is right in the exhaust pipe, just unscrew it and then unplug the connector from under the hood.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
Really? I guess the computer was trying to compensate for the bad sensor and screwing up your fuel mix?

Thanks a lot for the follow-up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.