Jeep Died, no spark, Could be CKP? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Died, no spark, Could be CKP?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
jasonamorris
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Died, no spark, Could be CKP?

I posted a post before this asking about the location on the CKP but I thought I would post my entire problem and get some ideas... I have been reading post searches all morning and feel like i'm going in circles...

Yesterday I was enjoying the day when at about 55mph the jeep died completely... I pulled over and gave it a few cranks, it would turn over at first but would immediately die, then nothing...

My first thought was the fuel pump. So when i got it home, I tested the following...

Fuel Pump - i could hear it kick on for 3 or so seconds... Good.

I check for spark and nothing. so the next morning I gave it another try and it fired right up. I let it run for about 15mins and it seemed ok...

I read that if the CKP is bad it will not fire when hot but will work again when cool, is some cases... and my gauges might not work but they is working well...

So I am assuming its the CKP or the cam shaft sensor... Is there an easy way to figure out which of the two it could be??

Any thought??

Thanks,
J

jasonamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
jasonamorris
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i pulled the CEL numbers... ??

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
jasonamorris
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i also would like to add that i had the battery disconnected for a month or so and just installed new battery and terminals, would that cause any issues on the first day running??
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Outatime05

(Post deleted by author.)
Outatime05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
jasonamorris
2000 XJ Cherokee 

would the crankshaft sensor be the only thing that allows it to work when cold and not turn over when hot? I'm pretty sure its just the crankshaft sensor but i want to make sure since i'm also getting the 54 code...
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Outatime05

(Post deleted by author.)

Last edited by Outatime05; 07-05-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Outatime05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
alextremetj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A quick test to rule out a crank sensor, while cranking the motor, have someone feel the ASD relay. If you feel it click, then you know the ECM is getting a signal from the crank sensor.
alextremetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
jasonamorris
2000 XJ Cherokee 

where is the asd relay? sorry...
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Power distrubution box under the hood by the battery.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no spark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.