Jeep death wobble due to tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep death wobble due to tires

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
jameskjeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep death wobble due to tires

Any help on this as I have no idea what the cause is. So my jeep has the death wobble at 45 MPH any speed over 45 or under 45 is fine. The issue is the tires when I rotate them the issue stops when I rotate them again I have the same issue. So it has to do something with the wear of my tires.

So this happened on my last set of tires. I take it to the jeep dealership tell them about the issue they test my tires and tell me its the tire wear and that I really need to rotate them every oil change and not every other oil change. So I say ok I buy a new set of tires. I rotate them every oil change and now I am having the same issue again. When I got the new tires I did have my jeep alignment and the wheels balanced. But I don't know what the cause could be or what to look for.
I'm running 32 inch BFG mud TA's. What do you guys think?

1.25 JKS BL
2.5 OME HD Sup Lift 1 inch JKS MML 32" BFG MUDDS
MT Classic 2 15x8
jameskjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tires don't cause death wobble. They can only cause a tire vibration.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
jameskjeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
Then it's a very bad tire vibration that causes the jeep to shake like it's going to fall apart at 45MPH. I know its the tires because when I rotate them back it stops. Has to be something with the cause of the wear. I just cant figure out what.
1.25 JKS BL
2.5 OME HD Sup Lift 1 inch JKS MML 32" BFG MUDDS
MT Classic 2 15x8
jameskjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There’s a pretty good article in Fourwheeler magazine, November 2012, about death wobble. I tried to find it online but I couldn’t seem to do it. Page 44. Maybe you’re more competent at searching than I am.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
VME
2006 LJ Wrangler 

November 2012?

Time travel?
VME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VME View Post
November 2012?

Time travel?
You obviously don’t have a subscription to Penthouse either do you? It’s Christmas in November! ;-)
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
VME
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Haha I was jus messing with ya :P
VME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
ox-yj

Check all your tie-rod ends your track bar for any wear and lower+upper control arms for a any loose bolts.
ox-yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
dauster500
1987 YJ Wrangler 

get your tires balanced at a place you can watch them do it and make sure the tire balancers screen says "OK OK" before they take the tire off. going to a dealership for things like that theyre just gonna scam you and reach deep into your pocket.

Gotmudcnj4x4.org
dauster500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
If the rig has a problem that allows DW, the tires can be the initiator. A shimmy starts because of an out of balance or tread wear problem and loose or worn parts in the suspension and/or steering allows that shimmy to blow up into full DW.
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
Jamie_209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ox-yj
Check all your tie-rod ends your track bar for any wear and lower+upper control arms for a any loose bolts.
Definitely a great idea here. My cherokee with 4.5" lift and 33" tires had the same issue. Turned out to be the track bar bushing was shot. Replaced and fixed the problem.
Jamie_209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Is it possible you have a bad rim?
Unread 09-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Jamie_209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj
Is it possible you have a bad rim?
If the wheel is bent that bad it would be felt no matter where it was located. If it was on the rear you would feel vibrations in the seat.
Jamie_209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

James, read my post here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in...-lcas-1420526/

I had the shakes at about the same speed as you. Not full-on DW all the time, most often just the steering wheel shakes, clearly a precursor to DW. I did get DW a few times. The shakes and DW were more noticeable when I would rotate tires.
I read hundreds of posts, and paid careful attention to those who knew what they were talking about. I checked my bearings, TREs, track bar/mounts, tire balance, ball joints, all seemed to be OK.
I decided to attack my problem by replacing the front lower control arms. I understood that the factory LCA are marginal at best when new, and I had placed a strain on them with a 3" lift for the last 30K miles. It made sense to me to buy LCAs that would adjust, compensating for the change caused by the lift, yet provide a solid, positive tie-in to the frame.
When I removed my factory LCAs, I slipped the stock bolt back through the sleeve, and I was surprised at the amount of slop between the bolt and the sleeve... yet the sleeve showed little wear or distortion. I could visualize that amount of movement... in each of the four bolts/bushings... and could easily understand the shakes and DW.

If you check all of your other basic steering components and find them all good, you should consider going for the Currie or Savvy JJ control arms...
it worked for my rig.

HTH

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
tommyduncan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post

When I removed my factory LCAs, I slipped the stock bolt back through the sleeve, and I was surprised at the amount of slop between the bolt and the sleeve... yet the sleeve showed little wear or distortion. I could visualize that amount of movement... in each of the four bolts/bushings... and could easily understand the shakes and DW.
I just put in new upper control arm bushings and was surprised how sloppy the bolts fit through the sleeves. I dropped the rears to see if maybe the wrong hardware was used on the front and they were the same.
tommyduncan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.