Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep is dead. Can anyone help please?

956 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Smithnis3636 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new here. I have a 2005 jeep wrangler x, that is completely dead. It will not turn over after a series of unfortunate events. I'm in no way a mechanic, but hoped someone here may be able to offer insight please.
On my way to work, Jeep began shaking and trying to lose power. Got to work, mechanic next door charged for diagnostic and told me I needed a new coil and new spark plugs. I replaced them when I returned home from O'Reilly parts. I drove again the next day for about 20 minutes, then for about 20 more and the jeep started sputtering, losing power, sounding like it was misfiring, engine light was flashing and then it just died and I lost power. Had my kids in the car. Had to have it towed home. I've since tested alternator, battery (was hoping it could be so simple), checked ignition switch, and replaced crankshaft sensor(which original was fine it seems)
I was given the following codes : p0300 confirmed, p0304 confirmed, p2302 confirmed, p0157 confirmed, and p2098 pending.
Just had another baby, 1 income family, and am hoping you jeep lovers can shed some light.

I've tried to research endlessly on here and online and some folks have had similar symptoms with a bad camshaft and some a bad asd. I don't know much about these but need to get this solved asap. Thanks! Really appreciate it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ignore the last two codes for now. They're for emissions only and won't affect performance. The first two codes are for misfires which just confirms the symptoms you're reporting.

Focus on the middle code for a coil and likely causes of misfires.

Here's the text from the internet for that code:
The most likely causes of this code are a faulty ignition coil, shorted or open wiring in the ignition coil driver circuit from the PCM, a faulty or corroded connector for the ignition coil, or a faulty PCM. PCM failure is rare.

Some things to consider:
Do you have the right plugs installed? Check on this forum for the right ones for your engine.
Did you use a mopar coil replacement? It can make a difference sometimes.
Same with your crank sensor. Keep the mopar one on if the replacement didn't fix the issue.
Check and clean your engine ground connections.
Inspect your wiring harness for any spots it might be rubbing through.
Check your coil connectors for physical damage or corrosion.

That should be some good stuff to start with that won't have you spending money on unneeded parts.

#8 ·
Thanks all. Went ahead and had it towed to a mechanic. Hoping to find out the culprit soon, will post update when I have some news. I don't know much about mechanics. Had tried the neutral start and screwdriver start tips I read about, but don't know how to fix anything super serious. We'll see how much she's gonna cost me. 12 years and no major problems... had a good run. Thanks again

#10 ·
The 2005 had a big issue with the OPDA. That's the piece that replaces the distributor on a car with normal distributor cap and wires. The first codes people get when they seize up are for misfires. Do a google search for OPDA issues it was a pretty wide spread issue on the 2005 model year. How many miles? Any squealing noises that you were unable to find the source of?

Start with this thread, but there are many many threads on Jeepforum. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/checking-opda-gear-wear-without-removing-opda-1348276/

#11 ·
So I thought I'd give an update in case anyone's curious or if this ever happens to anyone else...
With it having died 2 days in a row, two tows, (one home, couldnt fix so then one to mechanic shop) several days in the shop later I'm frustrated.hope this helps someone some day.

I'd changed the coil and spark plugs, after diagnostic showed them bad...these old ones had made it die the day before;

But THEN the very next day dies again?

Was told by the mechanic that the coil pack I had bought from Oreillys was bad.

*apparently the replacement coil purchased new from the local store was defective or bad and caused the wires underneath to burn up and it was arcing inside. He said I almost caught the jeep on fire. He said it took hours to remold and shape them and he blamed it on the bad coil pack. So, the 100 dollar coil cost me two tows, and a 650 dollar mechanic bill. Something is messed up with that. I'm out that much because the coil was bad. Be careful what parts you buy at the store. The manufacturer should have to pay for my repair don't ya think!?!?!
She's up and running at least now... thanks all for your input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.