Jeep dead, battery dead, won't jump, need help ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep dead, battery dead, won't jump, need help ASAP

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
97jeepTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep dead, battery dead, won't jump, need help ASAP

I searched the forum, but need my Jeep to get to work ASAP.
1998 Jeep TJ Sport, autmatic.

Two nights ago I left my dome light on over night. Yesterday I was running late and took my wife's car, today I do not have that option. I went outside and tried to jump the battery and nothing.

The dash clicks (almost sounds like the blinker relay but it isn't). I removed the dash and found a small (about the size of a square blackberry) black box that seems to be clicking. I noticed the my odometer is also flashing when I try to turn the key.

The PO has a red led light on the dash that I have never seen light up, today it is also flashing.

If anyone has any ideas I need them. I tried to search but a runing out of time.

Please and Thanks a lot in advance!

97jeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Either the starter died at the same time or you may not be jumping it correctly...

Try cleaning the terminals and sticking it on a trickle charger. Most likely the battery will need to be replaced though.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Ahrnsbrak14
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alternator could be bad. Make sure that your terminals are tight and that you are connecting the cables on both sides securely. If you end up getting a new battery and it dies again in like three days then your alternator is going.

It should start with a jump if your alternator is starting to go though.
Ahrnsbrak14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check the positive cable's connection to the starter
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
97jeepTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I removed cables to the battery, cleaned them waited about 20 mins and conected battery again, still doing the same thing.

Would a bad battery cause the odometer to flash? Also what is the black box that is clicking? I also believe that the check gauges light is flashing. Is this all typical of a dead battery?
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97jeepTJ View Post
I removed cables to the battery, cleaned them waited about 20 mins and conected battery again, still doing the same thing.

Would a bad battery cause the odometer to flash? Also what is the black box that is clicking? I also believe that the check gauges light is flashing. Is this all typical of a dead battery?
Yes, relay and yes. You need a new battery. If your battery is in really poor shape, you might not even be able to jump it.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
rscheff3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This has come up a few times on here lately. The way the jeep's computer works if the battery is out of the circuit (totally dead, corroded terminals, etc) it won't run. It won't bump start, it won't jump, it won't run. The end. The only thing you can do is charge or replace the battery.
rscheff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
SaintsSahara
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine just had this same problem two days ago. It's been very cold around here lately and his 2000 wouldn't start in the morning. He called me up to see If I could come and give him a jump. Not only would it not turn over with cables, it wouldn't start with my portable jump start pack which typically works when a "normal" jump start fails. It made all of the noises that you described. He went out and bought a new battery and hasn't had problems since.
Unread 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Yury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

could the red light be connected to a security system that the PO installed. see if the wires from the light go anywhere. the security system might not be allowing the start.
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Disconnect the battery from the charger or jump source. Measure the battery voltage directly on the terminals.

It should be very close to 12.0 VDC - 12.5 VDC. If its less, the battery needs to be charged. The clicking tell me that the battery voltage is dropping below 8 VDC when you crank it. Thats NOT good! Probably reading more like 4-5 VDC.

Have someone attempt to START the Jeep while your measuring the battery voltage with the meter. If it drops below 10VDC whe you try to crank it, its TRASHED!

If the battery has caps on it, check the water level. If its low, top it off and then try to jump it. Remember,,, the battery has to build up a charge before you try to crank on it. Let it charge for 15-20 min and then try it again.
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
97jeepTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
could the red light be connected to a security system that the PO installed. see if the wires from the light go anywhere. the security system might not be allowing the start.
YES! The PO emailed me back and said there is a tiny button under the dash. When the battery died it must have somehow activated. Either way, it jumped after pressing the button.

Thanks for all of the help!
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Yury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97jeepTJ View Post
YES! The PO emailed me back and said there is a tiny button under the dash. When the battery died it must have somehow activated. Either way, it jumped after pressing the button.

Thanks for all of the help!
Lol I feel all warm and fuzzy that I helped

U are very welcome sir

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.