Jeep is dead - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep is dead

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
libby4life

Jeep is dead

Jeep keeps randomly dying. Battery gauge goes up and down then when I turn it off its completely dead. I have a new battery and I tested the battery and alternator and they are both fine. I put a load test on it and it recharged. No idea what's wrong? Bad ground? Wire short?

libby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
bates
2004 TJ Wrangler 

somethings broken
bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
CurtC
2012 WK 

My .02, Sounds like a corroded connection. Check and clean all your ground connections. 2 on the firewall, 2 on the block. if you haven't already, also check/clean the battery terminals, fuse block terminals, and alternator terminal.
CurtC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What happens when it's dying out and after it dies? What are you doing to get it to start again?
aTX427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If it is completely dead, the first thing I would do is remove your battery cables, get some sand paper and clean the connection points, then get a package of that battery anti-corrosion grease from a parts store and put it back together. Next, look for a loose / torn ground connection at the back of the block behind the head on the drivers side. If it cranks, but does not start, try fuel / spark troubleshooting. Starting with the key in the "on position", look for 12v+ at fuse #11 and #12 behind the glove box. 11 is for the fuel pump and 12 provides power to the relays under the hood. From there you can start narrowing down fuel vs spark.
aTX427 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.