Jeep cranks and cranks, will not fire - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep cranks and cranks, will not fire

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #31
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea 5 gal is definitely enough. Fuel pressure gauge is a smart idea too especially since they aren't that expensive. Might as well in order to rule out other possible problems without a doubt. I'm beginning to think someone sabotaged your jeep while you were in the gym. Got any crazy mechanically inclined ex girlfriends out there?

BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #32
PeeWeeHerman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

recheck the fuse under the hood in the f21 position. on my98 it is a 20amp
PeeWeeHerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #33
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

You guys are not gonna believe what the problem was...

I have been able to get the Jeep to run off of starting fluid, so I now know this is a purely a fuel delivery problem. Testing the rail schrader valve for pressure, all i got today was a tiny dribble. So my pump is running, but not enough fuel is being delivered to the rail. I checked the fuel line from the tank quick connect to the rail for blockage with compressed air. It was fine. So I dropped the tank again, and ran the pump off a battery. Basically no fuel came out. I opened the tank and removed the pump module, and ran it again. If you have seen the inside of a fuel pump assembly before, you might remember a spring covers a small pipe that bridges the bottom of the pressure regulator to the top of the actual pump. There is an o-ring or grommet like thing on each end of this pipe.

The grommet that connects the bottom of the pressure regulator to the pipe had partially broken off and wedged itself inside, creating a bloackage and breaking the seal. So as the pump ran, most of whatever was able to get through the block was spilling out and not climbing towards the pressure regulator.

I cannot find this exact grommet for sale anywhere, so I tried using a small piece of fuel-safe rubber tubing and hose clamps, but the spring doesn't fit back on. I found out after reinstalling the fuel tank, the spring ensures that the inlet of the pump maintains constant contact with a pool of fuel to be sent down the line. Otherwise, it may bounce off to the side and the pump inlet will just be sucking air.

Tomorrow morning it's off to Lowe's to try to find a grommet that will work. Hopefully, that will be the last part of this repair......
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
VegasMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #34
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

SUCCESS!!!!

Having Jeep OCD like we do, I couldn't leave it alone last nite. I basically re-arranged the fuel tubing and hose clamps in such a way as to accommodate the spring. One hose clamp serves as a base for the spring that the ridge on the old pipe used to.

Took her out for a victory lap around 1:30 last nite. Probably should have gotten out of my neighborhood before I let her rip but it's been too long and I couldn't help myself.

HUGE thanks to everyone on JF who helped along the way. It's stuff like this that justifies my membership dues
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #35
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow what a journey lol. CONGRATS!!! And now you know your jeep even better than before too. Glad to hear you figured everything out. That's very interesting how the fuel pump assembly was damaged like that. As far as working on the Jeep into the wee hours of morning... I've done that wayy too many times
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #36
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

haha I pulled an all nighter when I installed my RC lift - basically the first major job I did on the Jeep. Took it for a victory lap as the sun came up - pretty cool.

On this job, I'm so happy I didn't throw in the towel and have it towed to the shop. I took a handful of pictures along the way. If anyone runs into a similar issue down the road, I can email pics or otherwise further describe what I did to the fuel pump assembly.

Also bought some techron fuel system cleaner - I'll toss that in at my next fillup. So far, these Bosch plugs appear to be okay, I will update if they start acting funny.
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #37
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Update:

Well, It's been about a month so I figured I would let you all know what's developed in the interim. I blew an ASD fuse a few days after the repair, now I keep a spare in the glovebox. Other than that, everything's groovy except for the occasional long start. I bought some copper Champion plugs which I will be swapping out the Bosch's for. If the long start disappears, I will let you guys know. If not......
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)

Tags
crank , crank positioning sensor , fuel filter , fuel pressure , fuel pump , no start , trouble starting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.