Jeep cranks and cranks, will not fire - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep cranks and cranks, will not fire

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

So I got home, reinstalled the fuel tank, connected all wires/fuel lines, dropped in some gas, and gave her a turn.

Nothing!!! Leaving the key in the on position, I depressed the Schrader valve on the fuel rail for a few minutes, but never got anything to come out. Is there a trick to purging air from the lines?

Also, the CEL will come one after a few minutes. My scanner is unable to pull the codes, and the key-turn trick didnít work. Maybe it just comes on if the engine doesnít start for a set amount of time?

Tomorrow night, I will pull out my FSM and look at the wiring diagram to figure out which connectors on the electrical plug supply power to the pump, and test for current. If that checks out alright, I am fresh outta ideas.

Have the Jeep gods no mercy?!?!?

97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
VegasMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMatt View Post
So I got home, reinstalled the fuel tank, connected all wires/fuel lines, dropped in some gas, and gave her a turn.

Nothing!!! Leaving the key in the on position, I depressed the Schrader valve on the fuel rail for a few minutes, but never got anything to come out. Is there a trick to purging air from the lines?

Also, the CEL will come one after a few minutes. My scanner is unable to pull the codes, and the key-turn trick didnít work. Maybe it just comes on if the engine doesnít start for a set amount of time?

Tomorrow night, I will pull out my FSM and look at the wiring diagram to figure out which connectors on the electrical plug supply power to the pump, and test for current. If that checks out alright, I am fresh outta ideas.

Have the Jeep gods no mercy?!?!?
Dang! Sorry to hear that.

No need to purge the lines of any air. Mine started right up in a few seconds after installing the new pump. When you turn the key to the on position, can you hear the fuel pump priming? You should be able to hear a little whine. If not, I guess the pump is not getting any power or the pump itself is faulty.
BYuen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Didn't have a chance to work on it last night, but I remember I couldn't hear much in the way of a pump operating after I had previously reassmebled. When I pulled the quick connect fuel line, a little bit of gas spilled out. It seems not to be making it all the way to the fuel rail though.

Also, neither my fuel nor my electrical gauge seems to be working. I have read that this is a symptom of a bad Crank Position sensor. Perhaps it's worth swapping mine out to see if that affects a change. Previous tests indicated that was not the source of the problem, however.
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #19
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, I went ahead and replaced the CPS. Still nothing.

The good news is the pump is functional. I took apart the electrical plug, and rigged up a 9 volt battery to the pump power and ground, and the pump started right up. So it appears that power is not making it from the battery to the fuel pump electrical plug. Somewhere between the PDC, the PCM, and the wires themselves, there is a break.

I took a look at the electrical diagrams, but to be honest it's all Greek to me. I think the next step is to trace the wires and test each link for current conductivity. Hopefully i find a tear somewhere I can splice back together.
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #20
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Exciting developments!!!

I decided to pull and reinstall every fuse and relay, in the event i had a corroded connection somewhere. While doing this, i noticed the 30A big fuse for the ASD relay in the PDC rattled. I replaced that, and now I have power to the fuel pump! I can hear it prime when I turn the ignition to the on position. Still not starting though. For a while, it was throwing code P1389 - no connection between ASD relay and the PCM. Not anymore, strangely enough...

Also, my gas gauge always reads empty, and my fuel light is on. I did the "actuator test" - and all of my gauges work. The consensus here is a bad connection somewhere. First step is to trace the ASD output to the PCM, and then the fuel gauge sender to the PCM.
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 08-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #21
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

There is electrical conductivity all the way from slot #3 on the fuel module connector (fuel sender port) all the way to slot 26 on the grey PCM. Bad fuel level sender maybe? Or ignition coil throwing a wrench in the works?

uhhhh i'm absolutely stumped guys!?!?! Next stop might be the stealership...
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well at least you know you've got new plugs, sensors, and a fuel pump assembly! Wish I could help you when it comes to the electrical issues, but my knowledge is still in the dark ages when it comes to electrical stuff.

I'm not sure if it would be a bad fuel level sender, because I believe that comes from the fuel pump assembly. There's always that chance it could be bad right out of the box. You could try hooking up your old fuel pump assembly to see if your gas gauge starts working again.

The ignition coil rail could be the issue if you're now getting fuel to the rail. Test it for power? Maybe unhook it from the engine, stick a plug in there, crank it over and see if there's any spark? But of course if you're not getting ample fuel at the rail, then the problem is elsewhere.
Unread 08-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #23
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, I have air, I have fuel, only thing left to check for is sparks, I guess.

I'll pull that coil rail tonite and let you know what happens.
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMatt View Post
Well, I have air, I have fuel, only thing left to check for is sparks, I guess.

I'll pull that coil rail tonite and let you know what happens.
sheesh, that would be nuts if your fuel pump and coil rail went out at the same time. But lets hope that's what it is so you can get your Jeep back on the road! lol
Unread 08-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

yeah no kidding! getting reeeeeeally tired of driving the GF's camry.

I'm trying to fight my way through the wiring diagrams, but i'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination. I do wonder though, if a fried coil rail breaks a link somewhere that screws with other PCM functions, namely reading the fuel level sender...
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 08-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #26
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I dunno. I guess it's possible for a bad coil rail to do that just like the crazy effects a fried battery would have, but like you I don't have a clue. Or you've just got a really really bad infestation of electrical gremlins

Hopefully the fsm might yield some clues.
Unread 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #27
sherminator866
2006 LJ Wrangler 

good luck finding it, hope its a easy find. my truck did that to me one day after wheeling and it turned out to be water under the distributor cap, after i checked a hundered things before.
sherminator866 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #28
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Good news: Coil rail & plug generates sparks
Bad News: Jeep still won't start

Tomorrow, the last trick up my sleeve is to check the fuel injectors for buildup. Although I hear that's rare, and seriously what are the odds that all 6 gunked up?

Summary of current symptoms and what i've done so far:

Current symptoms:
  • Engine cranks, but does not fire and run
  • Gas gauge does not work

Here's what I have done so far:
  • replaced fuel pump and strainers
  • replaced Crank position sensor
  • replaced sparkplugs
  • checked all fuses/relays, replaced one that was questionable
  • kill switch circuit checks out OK
  • fuel level sender circuit checks out OK
  • battery is charged
  • ignition coil rail checks out OK
  • fuel is being delivered at fuel rail
  • air intake is fine
  • instrument panel checks out for functionality
  • Fuel injectors ???

and on that note, it's Miller time
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #29
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Please take no offense, but how much fuel do you have in the tank? Maybe there's not enough? Just covering all the bases/possibilities! lol

That would be a crazy coincidence if your injectors had fouled up at the same time too.
Unread 08-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #30
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

haha, yes we need to cover all of the bases. Obviously, I siphoned out the fuel tank earlier, but have since put one 5 gal gerry can back in. So that should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/4 full

One thing I should do before dissaembling the fuel rail and pulling the injectors is to rent a fuel pressure gauge and take a reading of the fuel pressure. Now that I think about it, there's no way to know if the pressure is in spec just by looking at it, so what looks good to me may not be enough for the engine.
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)

Tags
crank , crank positioning sensor , fuel filter , fuel pressure , fuel pump , no start , trouble starting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.