Jeep CKP/CMP sensor problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep CKP/CMP sensor problems.

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 11-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
MiloSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep CKP/CMP sensor problems.

Recently my jeep began acting up. The engine would begin to shutter while driving, or randomly cut off while I was driving. I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor about two years ago, and the symptoms were identicle, so I went out and replaced the senor again. This cleared up the problem for about two weeks. Today I was driving a 150 mile trip, and about an hour and a half into the trip, the engine started doing something really strange. It would start to shutter like before, but only for a brief moment. It eventually shut off on me while I was doing about 70. I got a CEL. I was able to get it restarted and drive it to an exit. I checked the codes, and got 11, 54, and 55.

I can't imagine it woudl be another CPS already. I read on another thread on this forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...sensor-680096/ )that there should be a paper gasket over the crankshaft position sensor. There was no gasket when I replaced the sensor, so it currently has no gasket on it. Would this be causing these kinds of issues?

My other idea is the Camshaft position sensor, but I can't seem to find a replacement for sale.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Milo

MiloSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Grandpa Jeeper
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When you replaced the CPS did you get it at a parts store or did you get it from a dealer? I have found using OEM with sensors will save a lot of headaches down the road.
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
MiloSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the sensor at a parts store. I hope that isn't the issue. I'd hate to have to go drop some more cash on that stupid sensor. Is there any way to test the sensor to see if that is the problem?
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
MiloSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also, now that I am thinking about it, the rubber grommet that goes around the CPS wasn't there when I reinstalled the sensor either.
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Grandpa Jeeper
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Spending money on something, just hoping it is a fix is always hard to do. So is walking along the highway in the middle of the night with your thumb in the air. I am just recomending if you do think it is your CPS get an OEM sensor. If you are not in a hurry you can save a few bucks ordering it online.
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
MiloSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It wasn't a shot in the dark, it was also throwing these same error codes. Thus, this would lead me to the conclusion that it was the CPS. Maybe it wasn't the problem, but it was displaying same symptoms.
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

might try cleaning the IAC also...mine did the same thing as yours, it was the IAC and I also thought it was the CPS
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
MiloSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I cleaned the IAC about 10,000 miles back. I have been having problems with the engine rough idling for a long time. It might be time to clean it again.
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
MiloSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered an OEM sensor to replace the one that is in there. I got the sensor, but it doesn't include the grommet that goes around the sensor. I talked to the guy at the dealer parts department, and he said he couldn't find that in their computer. I also asked him about the little plastic cover that the sensor and grommet fit through into the bell housing, and he said that wasn't in there either. Does anyone know where I might find these parts, or what their part numbers might be?
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Grandpa Jeeper
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing you should have with a new sensor is the paper spacer. You have asked about the grommet several times but as far as I know there is no grommet or plastic cover. Hopefully someone else can chime in and be more helpfull about that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.