Jeep Build Ideas.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Build Ideas....

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
1998tjsport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Build Ideas....

So I pulled the motor out of the 4cyl I just bought tonight and I decided instead of replacing it I am going to put a Gen III gm small block in it. I am seriously considering an LM7 (out of like a 5.3 2000-2004 Tahoe). They make 295hp 340tq and can be had with electronics for like 700 bucks with average mileage. I know alot of people use the 4l60e or a TH350/400/700 with this but I am a die hard manual fan. How much power can an AX15 handle if I can find one for a good deal? Should I just look for a NV4500 out of a chevy truck? Would it be worth the money? My goal is to do this swap leaving the stock tcase and axels for under 4k. Axels will be changed as needed What do you guys think? Figure 1k for the motor and computer. 500-1300 depending on trans. 400 for the wiring modifications. 170 for motor mounts. 200 for a rad and cooling hoses. 400 for a clutch set up. That leaves around 1k give or take for other things. What do you guys think?

1998tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think I'm jealous. Thats what I think.
MATT99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think you need to do a lot of research. If you really want to be safely within your budget, take your original estimate and double it. Not saying youll need all of it but its ALWAYS going to cost more than you originally think. You also need to take into account special tools, adapters, workspace, outsourcing, fabrication.... research. Im not trying to be an @ss but the generality of your question tells me you have a loose idea of what you want to do.

Engine swaps can and have been done. Take a look at other swaps and figure out why theyre choosing the engines that they do.
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm seeing a Ford 460 in your future............
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Seeing as how you live in NY too, I would Love for you to let me in on how you register and inspect this once the engine swap is done.
2004 TJ SE 2.4L 5-speed. 2.5" Rough Country Lift, 1.25" Rough Country BL, Rough Country Stinger, Rough Country Rocker Rails, 9,500LB Vortex Winch ($200 off eBay), 4' FireStik, CB, Dana 30/35 4.10's, front Aussie Locker. 33x12.50x15 Dakota A/T on 15" Canyons painted black, 1.5" wheel spacers. Remote Start. MCE Flatty Fenders. All work done by me, with some help from my friends.

Videos: www.youtube.com/bwfbezerk
Pics: www.facebook.com/bwfbezerk
Xbox: BWFBezerk
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My neighbor has done four Chevy V8 swaps he averages about 5-7K each in parts, I am not sure how much force the AX-15 can take, I know the AX5 you have now will not take much at all. The nothing is going to be a direct bolt in so realize that, also you rear axle if it was originally a 4cyl is a D35 and will not take the increased torque from a V8, it will need to be swapped as well. A Ford 8.8 if you have welding skills, otherwise a D44 from a TJ will be a direct bolt in, but is more expensive.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tjsport View Post
Figure 1k for the motor and computer. 500-1300 depending on trans. 400 for the wiring modifications. 170 for motor mounts. 200 for a rad and cooling hoses. 400 for a clutch set up. That leaves around 1k give or take for other things. What do you guys think?
i think your off just alittle bit on you numbers.... and as stated above [a] your going to annihilate your trans [b] destroy your axles

now add in [c] custom exhaust and emissions components like cats o2 sensors [d] pcm programming [e] plan on over 600+ for wiring alone IIRC on a chevy [f] skid plate and or transmission mount modifications [g] fuel system modifications just to name a few things off the top.

you need to do alot of research before even considering this project. you only have 6 parts listed to make this swap a reality.... you havent done your homework yet

i say go for a motor swap, just do fool yourself that it can be done, and be street legal for the numbers you posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ax15 , tj , wrangler , engine , swap , 2.5 , small block

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.