Jeep Build on a High School Budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Build on a High School Budget

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
jaybird02
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Build on a High School Budget

I bought a 1998 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L with a blown motor, decided to keep the 4 banger for money reasons. I rebuilt it but had it bored .030" over, shaved
.005" off the deck, ported the head and intake manifold, speed pro sealed power engine kit, and cold air intake.

Also I put a 4 in. Rough Country susp. lift with 33x12.5's and stock gears
It runs great! I am very happy with it, the only problem is it now only runs on 89 octane or higher and its my daily driver.

Let me know what you think! Any other ideas?

jaybird02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
GOLDJ33P

uhh.. ditch the rc lift =D

jk.. but for way less than the price of the rc lift, you could of gotten about the same thing..

zj v8 coils front, put the front tj coils in the rear (around $50 bucks) new shocks (re monotubes or ome nitrochargers are some of the best for the price $300 but WELL worth it) and a 2''bb (50 bucks).. would give you 4'' of lift.. and ride way better

the coil swap i just said nets a tad bit over 2'' alone.. heck to deal with vibes instead of the 2'' bb and dropping the tc, you could add a 1'' bl with 1'' mml.. this will take place of any vibes up to 3'' (most the time) and you'd have 2'' suspension and 1'' bl..

only reason i say ditch the rc lift is they sag horrible.. rides rougher than ****.. and just arent worth it

i went the cheap route first too because lets face it, im 20 and money at first was limited.. ive only kept the coils (started out with a small 2'' procomp coil/shock lift) i ditched the shocks within the first 100 miles

but for real.. keep the coils since your on a limited budget, get better shocks (trust me you'll want them) and look into a body lift and mml.. you'll only have to add a couple of washers for a tc drop instead of 1'' of tc drop.. and your setup will be good, except most 4'' lift you'll want to run aftermarket control arms
GOLDJ33P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Keep your foot off the gas pedal and the 10 cents difference in gas won't seem so bad.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to run it on regular just get a oversized head gasket to lower the compression back close to stock. Have you calculated the new CR? how far are you above sea level.
4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
jaybird02
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No I haven't calculated the compression ratio, how do you do that? The reason I decided to continue running a higher octane is it ran a lot better than on regular.
jaybird02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.