jeep broken into - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep broken into

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie2727 View Post
1shotwonder...Are you referring to the ignition lock cylinder or the car door cylinder. If you mean the ignition lock cylinder, if I buy a replacement, how do I swap out the tumblers to match my current key?
I was referring to the ignition lock cylinder.. Honestly, the best way to explain it would be to watch a video on it.. It's not that hard to swap out tumblers.. Just kinda hard to put into words without confusing the heck outa some people

Unread 02-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
wtroger

I was asking 1 shotwonder how hard it is to replace the tumblers on a new ignition cylinder. But yes to your point I need to see if the casting is broken too. You don't know any info on replacing the tumblers to match my current key do you?
did might help too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yntb_qGNzEA
JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
aeromarknyc
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same happen to me 2 weeks ago today. Stealership still has it. should get it back mon or tues after paying $2150(luckily i have comp with 100 deductible). From my understanding, you have no choice but to take it to the dealership to have the SKIS(chipped key) reset. the d-bag that broke into my TJ smashed the ignition and SKIS antenna around the ignition cylinder. It would start and run for about 2 seconds as this what it is intended to do. but once its started without the key...thats it. If someone tells you you can get around it, have them prove it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/th...l-her-2033449/
20140125_114707-small-.jpg   20140125_114719-small-.jpg   20140125_114732-small-.jpg   20140125_120155-small-.jpg  
aeromarknyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #19
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not concerned about the door lock so much as the damage to the cylinder. If someone wants to steal it, regardless if the door is open or not, they re still going pop the ignitoin. Looking forward to some constructive help on here....
I believe that was constructive to reduce the extent of future damage done which would reduce the out of pocket expenses for you since you dont have comp coverage.
One of the main reasons I don't lock my doors is because I run a soft top and thieves are notorious for slashing windows for access to the inside. Either way if the door is locked or not someone can enter my jeep. So to save my top I choose to leave my jeep unlocked and dont keep anything in it that I am not willing to loose. Luckily I have the SKIM function, but this wont help much if it gets towed away by a flat bed.
I had my 98 broken into and rifled through when I had it. Since it didnt have the SKIM on it, the very next day I had a security system installed. Sure enough it went off that night. Took me a while to get to it because I lived in an apartment at the time and it was in the parking garage. I think the loud noises and flashing lights scared the thief away because the door was swinging open when I got to it. Probably would have lost my Jeep that night.
Good luck with your repairs.
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #20
jamie2727
2003 TJ Wrangler 

aeromarknyc...

They tore apart the skis antenna in mine also. Do you know what they replaced in your jeep? I don't have comp on the jeep, so this all out of pocket expense for me and can not afford a 2100 bill.
jamie2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #21
aeromarknyc
2001 TJ Wrangler 

heres a snapshot of the bill...if you read my post on my situation http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/th...l-her-2033449/ , someone vaguely describes the computer work necessary to reconfigure the SKIM
invoice.jpg  
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
jamie2727
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks like the most expensive parts was the steering column assembly which I read was around 700 bucks, but I saw them used on line for 160.00. So maybe that can save me some big money there. I noticed that I didn't see the ring attenna for the Skis on this bill. I thought you mentioned that it was broken? Do you know if they replaced it?
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #23
aeromarknyc
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i can only assume its part of the "SKIN MODULE" for $135. they better replace it.
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
jamie2727
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That makes sense..
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
jamie2727
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtroger View Post
The big question is did they damage the casting that the cylinder goes in. That is the harder more expensive piece to fix / replace.
Any idea what the part number is for the casting that the lock cylinder slides into? Or at least what its referred to as?

They did break out a bottom piece to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.