JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   jeep broken into (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jeep-broken-into-2077762/)

jamie2727 02-05-2014 03:51 PM

jeep broken into

2003 wrangler sport

Just realized my jeep was broken into. The popped the passenger side door with a screw driver I suspect - there s damage to the keyhole. Inside they popped the key cylinder and looks like they broke the collar with the two stubs above and below the where you pit the key in. The key is chipped so they must have been not able to start it and drive away. The key cylinder I found on the floor board. Any idea how what I am going to need to fix this? I don't have comprehensive on it - so it's all out of pocket expense.

JBTJ 02-05-2014 04:00 PM

Sorry to hear that. Next time don't lock the doors.

Gingerkidsrock 02-05-2014 04:02 PM

I have yet to lock my doors and don't keep anything I don't mind being stolen In the Jeep at all sorry to hear about the break in. Auto part stores can usually get lock cylinders. Maybe quadratec too??

jamie2727 02-05-2014 04:05 PM

Not concerned about the door lock so much as the damage to the cylinder. If someone wants to steal it, regardless if the door is open or not, they re still going pop the ignitoin. Looking forward to some constructive help on here....

number40Fan 02-05-2014 04:51 PM

Get a new lock cylinder and have it keyed to your old key and install.

jamie2727 02-05-2014 05:23 PM

Number 40fan...If I purchase a key cylinder on line, how do I have it keyed to my key? Di I give them my VIN number?

goodwrenchdave 02-05-2014 05:39 PM

Not very clear on the extent of the damage to the ignition cylinder/housing .., picture?
Is the cylinder still there? picture would help.
A locksmith can code your cylinder with an available key.... A dealer does also,, but probably wont want to code your jobber cylinder. You need to find out the extent of the total damage (trim, housing etc) as it may get cheaper to buy a used column and code the cylinder.

The theft vehicles towed in usually end up needing more than just a cylinder as thieves get frustrated and start forcing breaking parts.

jamie2727 02-05-2014 06:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics. It looks like damage was done to it.

NotSoMelloYello 02-05-2014 06:12 PM

You can repin a new lock cylinder yourself. It is not that difficult. I repinned my half doors to match my full doors and ignition so I only have one key. Check youtube for the video how to. Its rather easy. Good luck. If you need help, you could mail me the two cylinder and I will repin it for you lol

1shotwonder 02-05-2014 07:42 PM

Yup, you're missing a piece on that for sure... I got an extra lock cylinder sitting at home in my garage.. All you'd have to do is swap out the tumblers to match your current key

wtroger 02-05-2014 07:48 PM

The big question is did they damage the casting that the cylinder goes in. That is the harder more expensive piece to fix / replace.

jamie2727 02-06-2014 11:39 AM

1shotwonder...Are you referring to the ignition lock cylinder or the car door cylinder. If you mean the ignition lock cylinder, if I buy a replacement, how do I swap out the tumblers to match my current key?

wtroger 02-06-2014 11:51 AM

i am talking about the casting that the ignition lock cylinder goes into. They tend to use either a slide hammer or just a hammer to get the ignition cylinder out usually destroying the cylinder casting

jamie2727 02-06-2014 11:59 AM

wtroger

I was asking 1 shotwonder how hard it is to replace the tumblers on a new ignition cylinder. But yes to your point I need to see if the casting is broken too. You don't know any info on replacing the tumblers to match my current key do you?

NotSoMelloYello 02-06-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie2727
1shotwonder...Are you referring to the ignition lock cylinder or the car door cylinder. If you mean the ignition lock cylinder, if I buy a replacement, how do I swap out the tumblers to match my current key?

This video references a door lock but it should be the same for a ignition lock cylinder have to get to the inner part of the lock cylinder to do it

The time now is 10:41 PM.