Jeep brake lights out need help ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep brake lights out need help ASAP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Reply
Unread 06-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
lcsballer1
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 11
Jeep brake lights out need help ASAP

I recently put brake light guards on my 97 tj. I undid the everything to get it on and undid the connector connecting the light. after putting it on I reconnected everything exactly as before. Afterwards my brake lights are extremely dim and when the headlights are on they don't work at all. Also my turn signal now blinks super fast when I hit the brakes. When the headlights are on the turn signals do not work at all. I took it to o reilly auto parts and they took off the light and checked everything and said it looked just fine. The ground wires, bulbs, and fuses seem to be just fine. Please help. Thanks so much in advance

lcsballer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsballer1 View Post
I recently put brake light guards on my 97 tj. I undid the everything to get it on and undid the connector connecting the light. after putting it on I reconnected everything exactly as before. Afterwards my brake lights are extremely dim and when the headlights are on they don't work at all. Also my turn signal now blinks super fast when I hit the brakes. When the headlights are on the turn signals do not work at all. I took it to o reilly auto parts and they took off the light and checked everything and said it looked just fine. The ground wires, bulbs, and fuses seem to be just fine. Please help. Thanks so much in advance
Take the taillights back off and clean the mounting bolt points, add some dielectric grease and try it again... HTH


__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
Rangerz
Member
 
Rangerz's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 148
Yep. Bad ground connection.
__________________
"Jeeps Love Gas Stations"

Chris - Lost Wages, NV

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, 2009 Lance 825, 2005 TJ,
Polaris RZRs.
Rangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
lcsballer1
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 11
So just clean the 3 bolt points and that will fix the problem?
lcsballer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,682
Yup.

Max
__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsballer1 View Post
So just clean the 3 bolt points and that will fix the problem?
That would be my opinion...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
lcsballer1
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 11
Thanks so much guys much appreciated
lcsballer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
ShabanAgayev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Clean the ground connections
ShabanAgayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 02:08 AM   #9
Jeep_Porn
Twitter @Jeep_Porn 165k
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: waterford, Connecticut
Posts: 99
Yea clean the ground connection... I had the same exact problem and its funny how other people experience the same problem... I love this page!
Jeep_Porn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Porn View Post
Yea clean the ground connection... I had the same exact problem and its funny how other people experience the same problem... I love this page!
Then why not fill in your profile?...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
geroux
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Then why not fill in your profile?...
Profile police is needing his quota. This is three threads in a row I've seen this.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post

Profile police is needing his quota. This is three threads in a row I've seen this.
So quit reading. Problem solved.

Max
__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
So quit reading. Problem solved.

Max
Thanks Max...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
geroux
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Thanks Max...
Ya, thanks for the advice Max. I'd just like to open new threads to read without being annoyed by seeing nothing but someone telling someone else to fill out their profile, three times in a row!
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
Ya, thanks for the advice Max. I'd just like to open new threads to read without being annoyed by seeing nothing but someone telling someone else to fill out their profile, three times in a row!
And how many time's did it take for you to be told to do that before you got a clue?
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.