JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   jeep= best all terrain vehicle? why? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jeep-best-all-terrain-vehicle-why-387848/)

grogie 03-14-2007 11:38 AM

I was on such a rough trail outside of Ouray, CO, last summer, that the only other vehicle I'd have driven on it would have been an ATV. :thumbsup:

lupinsea 03-14-2007 11:39 AM

To me the Jeep has evolved into a good all-around vehicle for rugged terrain. It has a wheel base that is not too short and not too long allowing it to climb steep hills and get over obstacles without high-centering but still keeping the wheels tucked close together to thread between trees and rocks. Its wide enough to be stable but not so wide it can't fit through narrow openings. It has good ground clearance, and a simple solid axle suspension which is enclosed and durable and flexes a lot to allow the tires to maintain contact with the terrain. Those "archaic" solid axles are what give the Jeeps a decided advanted off-road as they allow significantly more suspension movement than modern IFS (independent frons suspensions) which are better suited for the road.

There's a utilitarian aesthetic to the Jeep that I've come to appreciate as well. The interiors are designed to stand up to the riggors of outdoor adventure: Carpets can be removed, and the inside hosed out for thorough cleaning. Its a vehicle I feel comfortable in taking on trails and not having to worry about getting things dusty or dirty. (Try and picture getting backin your leather trimed Landrover with sloppy, muddy boots and wet, dirty pants.) With the rear seat installed a Jeep can transport 4 people in a pinch. Without the rear seat there is a modest cargo bed in the back which is great for loading up camping gear and the family dog and heading out into the mountains.

Then there is also the openness and sense of freedom with the Jeep. By being able to retract the top and even remove the doors you open yourself up amazingly to the outdoors and environment. The first time I drove around without doors it was like riding on a park bench. It felt great! That is truely an experience I have never had in any other vehicle.

All this comes at a cost and compromise. Where as other "utility" vehicles are geared more towards the street with better handling and rider comfort in mind with some ability to travel rough roads and terrain, the Jeep is oriented toward the rough and rugged trails with some capability to travel on paved surfaces. As such the suspension and steering design always fall short of nearly any other vehicle if one were to consider only highway and paved road driving. The interiors are also pretty crude when compared to other vehilce, but again, would you want your leather upolstered luxowagon to be covered in mud and dust?

But, it's the totality of the Jeep's capability to do well and excell in nearly all terrain that makes it so desirable.

Remember, this is a vehicle platform that has been going through an on-going development for about 70 years now. And in the experiences of WWII and the subsequent decades the modern Jeep keeps getting refined and dialed in to suit it's unique roll.

JeepNazi101 03-14-2007 11:52 AM

Cheaper than an EARLY BRONCO

Sorry, the truth hurts sometimes.

will04wrangler 03-15-2007 04:44 PM

Best all-terrain vehicle (including the highway... ex: daily driver) Most definitely!!!:2thumbsup:
I'm very glad to have one.

jfondren3 03-15-2007 05:12 PM

I'd like to get my hands an a new Range Rover and compare it to my TJ since I have heard they are awsome straight off the showroom even with 20" rims. If I could afford it then I would have one sitting right beside my TJ.

fish4life 03-15-2007 06:40 PM

the best all-terrain vehicle is Mercedes UNIMOG!

TJs are the best of the stock SUVs but the UNIMOG is king!!!

for those not familiar, read here : http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredv...rcedes_unimog/

yes, that's correct .... like 20" of ground clearance .... WOW!

Rubicon_TJ 03-15-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish4life
the best all-terrain vehicle is Mercedes UNIMOG!

I totally agree with the idea of a Unimog being an excellent off-road vehicle.

Still, an all-terrain vehicle means (to me at least) just what it says - the vehicle that you would choose to drive because it offers the widest range of functionality in all possible terrains, including the highway. That is what sets the Jeep Wrangler apart - it can be driven on the highway in relative comfort (especially compared to a Unimog) and then make most other SUV's look like the pretenders they are when driving off-road.

lupinsea 03-16-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon_TJ
I totally agree with the idea of a Unimog being an excellent off-road vehicle.

Still, an all-terrain vehicle means (to me at least) just what it says - the vehicle that you would choose to drive because it offers the widest range of functionality in all possible terrains, including the highway. That is what sets the Jeep Wrnagler apart - it can be driven on the highway in relative comfort (especially compared to a Unimog) and then make most other SUV's look like the pretenders they are when driving off-road.

Rubicon Tj put it well. . . All-terrain means just that - all terrain. Highway, gravel roads, mountain trails, mud bogs, sand, rocks, etc. etc. etc. For that I'd go Jeep.

ieatchickens 03-16-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONX
the word versitility comes to mind I can hack my rear fenders stretch my wheelbase tube fender the front puyt in super low ratios and have a kick@ss crawler or for the same money I can turn it into a mud bogger or a expadition vehicle. What it comes down to is that you can do pretty much anything to a wrangler and the manufactuer encourages it....

So are you saying that hacking rear fenders and stretching the wheelbase is a Jeep advantage?

Couldn't I hack the fenders off a Chevrolet Pick up and already have the stretched frame?

Since when did Jeep start encouraging "do pretty much anything" to a Wrangler? Go ahead and try offroading with your Jeep and see what DC says about fixing the offroad damage under warranty.

Mostly the Jeep mystic keeps going with people like the guy who posted these ideas of Jeep superiority. In fact, it took 19 responses for this guy to chime in:

Quote:

Originally Posted by raskull
I really dislike opinionated threads like this.. so I didn't bother reading it all.. However, a solid front axle sure does help.

Reasons why the TJ is a great offroader:

1) solid front axle allows for more articulation
2) short wheel base allows for better geometery
3) staight in-line engine produces more torque on the low RPM range
4) less expensive to upgrade due to better after market parts availablity due to the previous
5) The only 4wd convertable thing with a folddown windshield is cool as hell!

Oh yeah, try carrying a couple of cases of beer, a tent, food and other gear in a mountain bike or ATV.

Border Dave 03-16-2007 11:22 PM

Don't forget... the TJ also has coil springs in the front and rear that allow for a good ride and great flex offroad.

will04wrangler 03-18-2007 06:00 PM

Well if we're throwing the Unimog in, we can't forget about the Jeep Hurricane. Two v-8's and full 360 degrees of turning radius..... that's just rediculous.

My girlfriends mom paid for us to test drive a new Range Rover Discovery in Tennesse e. It was pretty amazing. Lifts with the touch of a button, all types of electronic stuff that signals exteme roll and pitch levels. But as far as all terrain... It would get pretty screwed up if you took it in water more than two feet high. But it was EXTREMELY capable in mud. It has one of the most advanced 4-wheel-drive systems in the world. Computer controlled to ensure power goes to the wheels with the most traction. All power can be transfered to one tire if needed.

Not too different from the new system that's in the top of the line Commanders. But yeah, You're looking at a lot of body damage if you put it on rocks or in a creek.

But very cool, and WAY WAY more functional than a blumbering H2.

SecondTJ 03-18-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will04wrangler
My girlfriends mom paid for us to test drive a new Range Rover Discovery in Tennesse e. It was pretty amazing. Lifts with the touch of a button, all types of electronic stuff that signals exteme roll and pitch levels. But as far as all terrain... It would get pretty screwed up if you took it in water more than two feet high. But it was EXTREMELY capable in mud. It has one of the most advanced 4-wheel-drive systems in the world. Computer controlled to ensure power goes to the wheels with the most traction. All power can be transfered to one tire if needed.

Not too different from the new system that's in the top of the line Commanders.

You had to pay to test drive?? Wtf. How do they get away with that??
Range Rover or Discovery? They discontinued the discovery a couple years ago, replaced it with the LR3. And Range Rover is just that, but now Land Rover has added a smaller "sport" version.

That 4x4 system sounds like the Quadra-Drive system that was introduced in the '99 Grand Cherokee.

RWB214 03-18-2007 07:40 PM

Solid Axles?!?!:2thumbsup:

1BadJeepX06 03-18-2007 07:58 PM

Between my 1986 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy (3" lift with 33" M/T's), my two ATV's (Honda & Yamaha), and my Jeep (3" lift with 33" A/T's)... I would have to say that "SO FAR" My Jeep has done nothing that my truck couldn't.. Though I enjoy it very much with the removeable top etc.. Plus it has a GREAT ride and gets GREAT gas mileage compared to my '86 Chevy... For the "best all terrain vehicle" (assuming driving on the highway is thrown in there) I would say Jeep without a doubt in my mind.. But the throw back Bronco's were pretty bad arse!

DH

LarrySchwegman 03-18-2007 08:05 PM

You guys need to consider the 2nd gen dodge ram (96ish to 04ish). They are the only truck that I know of that has a 4 link front and leafs in the rear. They are also one of the most nimble full size trucks I've ever driven. Not to mention tons more power than a TJ, and they have a bed. They are also very simple to work on like a jeep.

I have a 97 with custom long arms. It goes where jeeps struggle. If you don't care about body damage it can go down the jeep trails.

The time now is 02:02 AM.